USB in glove box?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-RadsBadRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Hey guys, fairly new to the forum, and had a question. Tried search but didnt find anything. I have a '11 silver Crew Hemi of course and luv it. Second Ram I've had, in my old truck I had an aftermarket HU with usb in front, when I bought my truck I was just going to replace the HU because i love just sticking a flashdrive in there and going, but saw that in the manual if you have the RES with Sirius there is a usb in the glove box. Mine in this case doesnt have it. Does anybody have this on their truck and is there a way I can tap in and put one on my unit, is it hardwired in the harness or into the radio. Any help would be appreciated, went to the dealer but they were pretty clueless and said they would have to get back to me. That was 2 weeks ago. Any help would be awesome.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
I see Matt lurking............here comes the advice!

Welcome to the forum as well!

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I Asked the same question on another forum but never really got an answer, everyone there is way to worried about vent visors and bilstiens
Anyway for what I've figured out even though it says equipped with the RES head unit the wording is wierd. I believe it's a separate option. I think it comes with the unconnect.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
the glove box one goes to the Uconnect unit thats behind the dash on the right side of the lower glove box. Do you have the Uconnect feature in your truck?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
one thing i read in my manual is that a truck could possibly have a headunit that has the uconnent button but doesn't actually have uconnect, so don't assume you have it if you have the button

EJM05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
440 Big Block
quietpeen said:
one thing i read in my manual is that a truck could possibly have a headunit that has the uconnent button but doesn't actually have uconnect, so don't assume you have it if you have the button

^this

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
My dads big horn has RES that supports unconnect but doesn't actually have it
I'm curious what kind of plugs there are on the RES head unit and what it would take to add a USB cable if it's optional
My brother has a new f150 that has a USB in the center consol and he found an extra one behind the dash the he connected to an external hard drive with all of the songs from his computer (he used to have 5 flash drives he would switch between when he had his Cherokee)

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
theres 3 plugs on the back of the radio but the uconnect is a separate unit in another location. Yes you can have the uconnect button but not have the feature.

Not sure about using an external drive instead of a USB drive. In theory it should work if it has just music and nothing else on there. I'd test it but I don't have an external drive. I am very interested in that. I have over 70gigs of music and love to have it all at once lol

OP
OP
B-RadsBadRam

B-RadsBadRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yeah i dont have the uconnect but I wandered if I could get it, Dealer finally got back to me and said they could add it but I might as well just put aftermarket in for the $ they wanted to do it. I'm thinkin Alpine or Sony touchscreen with face usb connect, prolly spring project though.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
If you don't have the mygig radio I agree get aftermarket. You can get better. I have a good aftermarket radio but since I have a mygig i opted to upgrade everything around it. I love the built in harddrive

ARMYRETIRED

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the RES radio.

Uconnect unit - $280
installation - free did it myself, super easy
programming - dealer $90

IPOD/USB cable - $90
Installation - free super easy

uconnect plugs into stereo, ipod cable plugs into uconnect module.

Works good too

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I have the RES radio.

Uconnect unit - $280
programming - dealer $90

IPOD/USB cable - $90

Works good too

Great info, thanks!!!

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
nice install but for that price you could get an awesome aftermarket HU that does way more. but thats your choice.

big_red06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Bighorn
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just bought a clarion nx501 and its great got it refurbished on ebay for a deal it has the options to connect all that stuff .I also bought a 3 dollar usb hub and mounted it in the glove box to connect more than one item and seems to be working fine

OP
OP
B-RadsBadRam

B-RadsBadRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
Yeah thats what I said when they told me the price. I can get a lot more for less money, maybe even put a little toward some subs before i spend that much, and still sport factory, I am wanting the Ram radio that has the hardrive but no nav, i can find them but a little pricey still. Oh well thanks for the help fellas.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Can anyone take a pic of where they found this USB? I have uconnect but I am 09 so not sure if it is there or I am just missing it. Want that other port sounds nice.

$miley

bskl76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter Hemi
Hey armyretired, do you have the 130 RES radio or the 130 RES+RSC?

I have the RES radio.

Uconnect unit - $280
programming - dealer $90

IPOD/USB cable - $90

Works good too