Is USB port media only?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2013 1500 Laramie with 8.4 radio. My question is ; is there a way to use the pandora app through the stock radio? I am able to connect the phone via usb in my other two cars and listen to pandora. I can connect the usb cable through the console usb/media port and listen to all music stored on my phone. It seems like I should be able to turn on the pandora app and it would play through the radio media usb port.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there an auxiliary connection? 8.4 should have Bluetooth as well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
What kind of phone? The port is only really meant to use the music that is stored on the phone. However, if I connect my iPhone and switch to a music app like Spotify or Pandora it will start playing through the radio. You can also use Bluetooth or the built-in Pandora app on the radio (if you're in the US). The latter is probably the best solution, but requires a UConnect Access subscription.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
On my 2016 I could connect pandora through the unconnect which uses your phone but controls it on the 8.4 screen. I have not used it because my data plan is too small but sounds like it would be great

OP
OP
Hydrasport

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't have the 2016 model, I have a 2013. It has Bluetooth and a USB port in the console. The USB port will play all the albums on the droid phone, but I cannot get the pandora app on the phone to play through the radio. I have opened the pandora app and it was playing on the phone while the USB port connection was playing the music that was stored on the phone. I'm not interested in buying a subscription for the u-connect as I have unlimited data phone plan. I use IHeart and pandora in the other vehicles, just thought there should be a way to connect the phone to the USB port in the console.
Under the top console cover, I have a 3.5mm input port, a media card slot, 12 volt charger and the USB port. I f I us the 3.5 mm port, it might play pandora from the phone, but the radio controls will not control the phone app.

OP
OP
Hydrasport

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can the 2013 8.4 radio be updated to the 2016 or 2017 software?

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Can the 2013 8.4 radio be updated to the 2016 or 2017 software?

No. The new radios don't do anything different when it comes to what you're doing anyway.

Your options are Bluetooth or the AUX connection.

The UConnect subscription lets you connect your phone to the radio and use your phone's data plan to stream music. It doesn't use the radio's connection for anything more than verifying you have a subscription. It's pretty crappy because you're paying for the privilege of using a feature that's already in your radio.

OP
OP
Hydrasport

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No. The new radios don't do anything different when it comes to what you're doing anyway.

Your options are Bluetooth or the AUX connection.

The UConnect subscription lets you connect your phone to the radio and use your phone's data plan to stream music. It doesn't use the radio's connection for anything more than verifying you have a subscription. It's pretty crappy because you're paying for the privilege of using a feature that's already in your radio.

Thanks, that's is what I was looking for. Not what I wanted to hear, but that's how it works. I'm not going to pay for another subscription.
Yes, the bluetooth works well, but it doesn't stream music from my phone.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks, that's is what I was looking for. Not what I wanted to hear, but that's how it works. I'm not going to pay for another subscription.

Yes, the bluetooth works well, but it doesn't stream music from my phone.

Your phone doesn't support Bluetooth streaming audio? The radio does.

JesterTA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram Express
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I don't have the 2016 model, I have a 2013. It has Bluetooth and a USB port in the console. The USB port will play all the albums on the droid phone, but I cannot get the pandora app on the phone to play through the radio. I have opened the pandora app and it was playing on the phone while the USB port connection was playing the music that was stored on the phone. I'm not interested in buying a subscription for the u-connect as I have unlimited data phone plan. I use IHeart and pandora in the other vehicles, just thought there should be a way to connect the phone to the USB port in the console.
Under the top console cover, I have a 3.5mm input port, a media card slot, 12 volt charger and the USB port. I f I us the 3.5 mm port, it might play pandora from the phone, but the radio controls will not control the phone app.
make sure when you pair your phone that you also pair it as an audio device. I had the same problem.

lmc22391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ive played thru usb port before. Usually when i plug it in, it will play the last thing played. Then I just switch to pandora app and it plays good. I have to agree with everyone esle though, bluetooth is the way to go.

OP
OP
Hydrasport

Hydrasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bluetooth works quite well in my opinion.

Well, Bluetooth was the answer. I unplugged the USB cord and used just the Bluetooth for streaming Pandora and IHeart. If I need to charge the phone, I'll use a charger cord only. don't need the USB except for playing the stored media on the phone.