Viper VS Compustar remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Slowly but surely im working on my goodie list for the truck. Next up is remote start. Since my truck has manual locks and windows the options I ran across are a bit limited. Most remote starts have features I cannot use or dont need. All I need is to start the truck. Thus far the Viper and Compustar are a couple that fit the bill. Both are one way and simple auto start. Both can have features added such as smart phone start, remote entry etc should I get a wild hair later.
Any input on the two, or other similar brands would be great. Thanks folks!

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
since your not looking for a full alarm or keyless or anything. just get the bypass module and the rf kit.

since you need a bypass anyways why get the extra viper or compustar unit that is not needed?

IMO i have owned and installed both brands they both have pros/cons.

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
since your not looking for a full alarm or keyless or anything. just get the bypass module and the rf kit.

since you need a bypass anyways why get the extra viper or compustar unit that is not needed?

IMO i have owned and installed both brands they both have pros/cons.

Whats cons do you have for Compustar? Since they have gone with the Blade life is beautiful. And you never need a 451M (which I seem to forget on half the trucks I do a Viper system on lol)

But I agree, for simple R/S, a by-pass module is the easiest way to go.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've installed compustar and I have installed plenty of viper systems. Viper is definitely more popular in my opinion. I personally have a viper alarm/remote start with smart start and GPS but that is only because it is what I am used to. If i was more used to compustar than I am sure thats what I would have in the truck. I think either system will work well for you. I feel like this day and age, its all generally the same just a little different on the installs. Did a quick search and found this that may help decide: viper vs compustar

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you just want smart start, I am almost certain that iDatalink makes a module that you can buy and not cut wires. Its the module for immobilizer and then a T harness that plugs in and it will be remote start 3x. Only thing is that you have to program the module so you need the idatalink cable, you can also use that module to upgrade to a full alarm or keyless later as well.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whats cons do you have for Compustar? Since they have gone with the Blade life is beautiful. And you never need a 451M (which I seem to forget on half the trucks I do a Viper system on lol)

But I agree, for simple R/S, a by-pass module is the easiest way to go.

they all have pros/cons not just these two. some have features that others dont.

i started installing at shops when you were in grade school when you actually had to test and do relay set ups manually. back then the only module was a dei piece for passlock and universal "coffin box" for chip keys if you didnt relay and wrap your own key. back when directechs was only about half accurate and a module does everything for you.

i have always said this its NOT the brand of alarm its the quality of install. i have seen hack installers install $800+ alarms and have nothing but troubles and i have seen cheap eaby alarms installed and worked great with a quality install.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
they all have pros/cons not just these two. some have features that others dont.

i started installing at shops when you were in grade school when you actually had to test and do relay set ups manually. back then the only module was a dei piece for passlock and universal "coffin box" for chip keys if you didnt relay and wrap your own key. back when directechs was only about half accurate and a module does everything for you.

i have always said this its NOT the brand of alarm its the quality of install. i have seen hack installers install $800+ alarms and have nothing but troubles and i have seen cheap eaby alarms installed and worked great with a quality install.

Very well said!

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That is very true. However don't discount what needed to be done only 10 years ago. One of my first remote starts was a 2006 Charger (in 06/07)..... Actually had to build a relay bank under the dash and diode isolate everything at the doors. I think that took a solid two days. We also still use the 556u on cars that you literally can do nothing about, so I am familiar with wrapping the ignition. Anyways that was 10 years ago - I used to be a huge Viper guy until we had a new installer from up north that swore up and down by Compustar. After installing a few I was sold. In today's market, I personally do not see Viper on the same playing field as Compustar from an installers perspective. Besides the blade, and having relays built into the brains (and a number of other things) the customer support is top notch. Directed isn't even open on Saturday's any more. I can call Compustar on the weekend from my personal phone, not have our dealer information and they will help me out right away. Either way you are right though Install > Brand.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar

I know what the bypass module is, what is the rf kit you speak of and where can I research it?

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know what the bypass module is, what is the rf kit you speak of and where can I research it?

The RF kit is a receiver and remote that plug directly into the bypass module. it all depends on the brand of module you get for what ones work with them.

What ^^ listed that only works if you have factory remotes. However that is the kind of kit you can get then the rf kit to work with it.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Ahh, I dont have remotes since it is manual locks and windows. So I would need to locate the kit. Manufacturer or link to where I can find it per chance? Sounds like something I wouldnt have to splice into the harness.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have no experience with the add-on kit Baum mentioned, so not sure exactly what it is. Sounds like a remote just for the DBALL.
it basically plugs directly into a dball like a smart star would or an idatalink like a drone would.

Is there a preference of bypass module for these trucks?
I have used both idatalink and dball doing the 3x start before both worked great. i have also used idata connected through data to a dei product with no issues either.

OP
OP
ADUBIS

ADUBIS

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Well folks the verdict is in and Compustar wins. Got the install done yesterday. After seeing what the process was I'm glad I didn't do it myself. The remote works well but there are two complaints. One being is the kit only comes with one remote, would be nice to have a second for my other key. Fortunately a second can be programmed so no big deal. Secondly, the truck shuts off a few seconds after the door is opened since I don't have power locks. This is a security feature along with the brake pedal kill. It would be nice to be able to set it up so that it recognizes when my key is turned in the ignition and stays running. Apparently since this is technically a push to start ignition, even though it has an actual key, the firmware treats it as such and there's no getting around it. Otherwise Id say its a great buy and will be very useful when the frost and snow come my way.

Now I just have to find a louder muffler for it so I can actually hear it running in the driveway :happy160:

Last edited: