VSS sub and 5 channel amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have some questions about installing an amp. I am considering installing a 5 channel amp (Kicker 43CXA6005) along with Audiocontrol lc7i to clean up the signal. I currently have the kx400.4 Kicker amp but was thinking about going 5 channel instead.

Questions:
1- if I went 5 channel, I will be running high level to the lc7i. Then 3 outputs to the amp. I'm wondering, with no 3rd input for the sub (unless I tapped off a speaker wire like it is now) will I get any output for the sub?
2 - trickier thought - if I stay with the 4 channel amp...again, no signal input for the sub. If I used some sort of rca to hi level piece, can i run that back to the VSS amp?

Just trying to get the cleaning sound possible at this point. Very very unhappy with my radio sound. I mainly just drive around with it off. The radio is being replaced Monday but I doubt that'll fix anything. Thoughts?

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Most 5 channel amps can sum up the 3-4 channels to the 5th channel.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
The lc7 can sum the signal by setting the internal jumpers so you could give it 2 channel input with 6 out. It is not a true signal processor like a jl clean sweep. For the second question, I don't know of a rca to high level out. You could try cutting the plug off the rca and use the wires as positive and negative but keep the lc7 gain low to start to not over power the vss.

If clean sound is what you want, I would replace the headunit. But that's not always a good option if you have the 8.4 unit.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had an audiocontrol dq-61 with my stock head unit before going aftermarket and it also summed the sub channels. Essentially the input for channel 3&4 on the dq-61 would provide output for channels 3-6. The dq-61 is an LOC and EQ combined. I have one available in the for sale section if you are interested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys. Yeah I was considering replacing the HU but thats a $1,000 option at least, for all the **** to go with it. Well, 1-1300.

The plan is to run the speaker outputs to the AudioControl LC7i unit. Then run 3 RCA outputs to the 5 channel amp. The amp will run the 4 speakers back behind the HU and then the sub. Plus I'm adding the Kicker bass control knob as well so I can directly adjust the bass on the fly and not have to go into audio settings every damn song. This 'should' give me the sound I'm hoping to get.

After its all installed I can take it to a stereo shop and have them fine tune the LC7i and/or the frequencies on the Kicker amp as well. Too many adjustments for me to make on my own.

bucks130

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This should make your audio sound much better than the stock system. Be sure and post some pictures when it's done.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
mhb1638... if you're capable of installing your system I think you're capable of tuning it. Because you don't have an equalizer you can set your gains for clean power with a simple voltmeter if you have one. Just my 2 cents.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Which 5 channel amp do you have? I would like to check it out

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you don't understand crossover points and frequencies then it can be scary to adjust. since you're not EQing anything the shop will probably just set gains and crossover points for each channel. Any quality shop will have at minimum a voltmeter, or an oscilloscope. If they don't then they would be using the same techniques to set gains that you have which is your ears. Good luck with the install and tuning. Keep us posted .

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you don't understand crossover points and frequencies then it can be scary to adjust. since you're not EQing anything the shop will probably just set gains and crossover points for each channel. Any quality shop will have at minimum a voltmeter, or an oscilloscope. If they don't then they would be using the same techniques to set gains that you have which is your ears. Good luck with the install and tuning. Keep us posted .

I understand xover frequencies. My point I was trying to make is there will be gains that need to be adjust across the board. First gain adjustment will be at the LC7i. Then the amp for each part (front, rear, sub).
I was thinking the shop can use an RTA to get everything setup correctly. The gains. The frequency cut off points. The bass/mid/treb on the radio.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
If you try yourself, keep the radio levels flat to start. High pass the mids around 90. Low pass the sub around 90. Amp gains up to 3/4. Then adjust the loc until just before distortion at almost full radio volume. Use a source that you will be using most often, like bt or usb. That should get you very close.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you try yourself, keep the radio levels flat to start. High pass the mids around 90. Low pass the sub around 90. Amp gains up to 3/4. Then adjust the loc until just before distortion at almost full radio volume. Use a source that you will be using most often, like bt or usb. That should get you very close.

Friend from a stereo shop showed me an app for my phone (it's easy on Iphone but I have Android) that will help me adjust as well. Its called Sound Analyzer...appropriately lol.

EDIT--90 cutoff for all settings? Obviously HP and LP...just figured 80 for LP and 100ish for HP?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I will respectfully disagree with adrum on how to set the gains. You always start with gains set to your the minimum settings on your amps and processor. You start with you head unit at 3/4 volume then you move on to the processor. the output level knobs is where you will adjust for each channel going into your amps. Once you see the maximized light start to flicker then you're within your processors sweet spot. This is callled level matching.

Now on to the amps, set your crossover points to your desired frequencies per channel. At this point this is where you can start to adjust the gains on the amps. Make sure no speakers are connected because it will get loud. Start with 1&2 then on to the next. If you don't have the correct equipment to check voltage or distortion points then take it to your trusted shop and let them adjust from there. Setting the gains on your amps at 3/4 will give you a horrible hissing sound from your system.

As for the RTA, that only comes into play if you have a 31 band equalizer and can adjust for all of the frequencies in that range. At this point you won't benefit from it.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will respectfully disagree with adrum on how to set the gains. You always start with gains set to your the minimum settings on your amps and processor. You start with you head unit at 3/4 volume then you move on to the processor. the output level knobs is where you will adjust for each channel going into your amps. Once you see the maximized light start to flicker then you're within your processors sweet spot. This is callled level matching.

Now on to the amps, set your crossover points to your desired frequencies per channel. At this point this is where you can start to adjust the gains on the amps. Make sure no speakers are connected because it will get loud. Start with 1&2 then on to the next. If you don't have the correct equipment to check voltage or distortion points then take it to your trusted shop and let them adjust from there. Setting the gains on your amps at 3/4 will give you a horrible hissing sound from your system.

As for the RTA, that only comes into play if you have a 31 band equalizer and can adjust for all of the frequencies in that range. At this point you won't benefit from it.
You have me a bit confused. Sorry. I've been out of the install business for over 20 years. But I know enough to do what I need to. So....let me try to disect this (with gains at min)
Everything hooked up, flatline on the eq of the radio, volume at 75% so I think level 25 or so...and adjust each LC7i level until max is showing. I assume I would have to do this independantly since it would flash as I adjust amp 1, so I'd have to figure a way to adjust each amp to max.
On to the amp once its setup, do not hook up speakers....this is where I'm confused on the voltage meter thing. I have a volt meter and a multimeter..I'm assuming I'm putting the volt meter prong on the + side of each output and adjusting or what? This has me confused.

EDIT- the RTA thing was for the radio. Meaning once all the level gains are adjusted and such, how would I adjust the EQ on the radio correctly? By sound output?

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
See if your amp manual has output settings for the ohms for the speakers your running. With JL Audio they give you the target voltage for ohms for maximum output. Check with kicker they may have they same formula. This is when you can use the voltmeter to adjust accordingly until you hit the correct voltage. Just hook up the +\- on the voltmeter to the +\- on the amp of channel 1&2 it doesn't matter if it's left or right speaker, then on to 3&4 and finally your sub. Sounds like a lot but it's pretty easy. This pic is just an example

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here's the pic

Attachments

• IMG_0134.jpg
    IMG_0134.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 26