VSS sub and 5 channel amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
No argument here Eestee, i was just offering a basic overview. I know how hard it can be to level match multiple items. The crossover points I suggested are roughly where I'd expect yours to be at the end, depending on your speakers. The headunit eq would help you add a little something at the end. Probably a notch or 3 in any direction.

Which radio do you have? If it's an 8.4 you may need resistors at the loc input if you get no signal. Might just be the nav one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a friendly update....

I'm cancelling all my orders this morning for all the upgrades (amps, access, etc.). Reason is today the dealership replaced my factory unit and the music sounds much improved. The bass is more steady across the volume, not just at high volume. The hi's are better sounding too without a lot of treble as before. So, I guess all this was much ado about nothing. Sorry guys. Now to see if I can cancel that amp.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well....everything except the LC7i are on the way. I was able to cancel that. Now the question is...do I do the amp or not. Plus the bass control knob also came today. Decisions Decisions....

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you're content with the sound of the speakers now check the return policies of the items purchased. Maybe you could use the $$$ on other upgrades you may want to do.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're content with the sound of the speakers now check the return policies of the items purchased. Maybe you could use the $$$ on other upgrades you may want to do.

Content is the opportune word here. Its not where I'd like it for sure, but much better overall. Since everything is still otw, I may just end up installing everything as originally planned. Least then I should be able to control the output a little better than now. The current radio output is 'alright' and now the sub is progressing correctly as the volume is adjusted....but, maybe the sound will be cleaner and better amplified......

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Its sound like you actually understand how music is supposed to sound. With that being said I can tell you won't be satisfied until you get the sound from your system that suits your listening taste. GO FOR IT!!. Since you cancelled the LC7i see if you can get a deal on a
DQ-61 that will wake up those speakers with the EQ and give you time alignment . Decisions Decisions LOL.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its sound like you actually understand how music is supposed to sound. With that being said I can tell you won't be satisfied until you get the sound from your system that suits your listening taste. GO FOR IT!!. Since you cancelled the LC7i see if you can get a deal on a
DQ-61 that will wake up those speakers with the EQ and give you time alignment . Decisions Decisions LOL.

hehehe yeah. The sound now is much improved for sure, very much. But it's still not to my liking. It's almost like I have the bass and the high's but no warmth from the middle. I spoke to Amazon and they can't tell me for certain if the LC7i is cancelled or not...as it's in progress of being shipped so may not reach it in time. But yea, the more I've driven around today, the sound is better but too many times I wish I could control the bass output per song, as some songs have more than others (without going into the EQ of course). So, amp is otw, the bass knob is here. So...we shall see where I run next lol

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a kicker 800.5 and an LC7i in my truck that I recently put in and reading this is making me think that I tuned it and set things incorrectly. Can someone give me a rundown of what they would do with these after installing (tuning)? Please

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a kicker 800.5 and an LC7i in my truck that I recently put in and reading this is making me think that I tuned it and set things incorrectly. Can someone give me a rundown of what they would do with these after installing (tuning)? Please

Oh lord don't say that! I'm heading in that direction. Go back a page, Eestee had a real good breakdown for tuning the LC7i and amp.

Did you also replace your speakers and add a sub?

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh lord don't say that! I'm heading in that direction. Go back a page, Eestee had a real good breakdown for tuning the LC7i and amp.

Did you also replace your speakers and add a sub?

I did replace the speakers with Kickers and added a 12" Kicker COMPRT, i am not concerned so much for tuning at this very minute as my current project is matting the truck. It sounds descent right now but once I mat everything I will readjust so gathering information now will be a great benefit. So glad i saw this thread.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I will respectfully disagree with adrum on how to set the gains. You always start with gains set to your the minimum settings on your amps and processor. You start with you head unit at 3/4 volume then you move on to the processor. the output level knobs is where you will adjust for each channel going into your amps. Once you see the maximized light start to flicker then you're within your processors sweet spot. This is callled level matching.

Now on to the amps, set your crossover points to your desired frequencies per channel. At this point this is where you can start to adjust the gains on the amps. Make sure no speakers are connected because it will get loud. Start with 1&2 then on to the next. If you don't have the correct equipment to check voltage or distortion points then take it to your trusted shop and let them adjust from there. Setting the gains on your amps at 3/4 will give you a horrible hissing sound from your system.

As for the RTA, that only comes into play if you have a 31 band equalizer and can adjust for all of the frequencies in that range. At this point you won't benefit from it.

I had no idea how to get the maximized light going like that. I will have to try it out and see.
The way I did it was totally different.
I am starting to question everything I know at this moment.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Here is a pic of my setup. Most people think you need to change the head unit to get quality sound, but that's not entirely true. The money some people spend on a head unit can be used on better equipment. In my 2013 express I had the 3.0 radio and people(even stereo shops) couldn't believe how it sounded. The head unit in my setup is only used to feed the high level signal into the processor....that's it. The pic now is of my 2015 sport.

Attachments

• IMG_0275.jpg
    IMG_0275.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 32

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
mhb, you wont be able to use the 5 channel on the VSS sub, that's a 1 ohm sub made for that BTL amp.

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mhb, you wont be able to use the 5 channel on the VSS sub, that's a 1 ohm sub made for that BTL amp.

**** me. Worse news all day. The amp, speaker wiring, all wires, fuses, LC7i everything is here for install. ****. ****. ****. I have to think this through now. Or sale everything I have and hope for the best.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
See if you can sell the VSS, and find a sub compatible with ohms your new amp puts out. There are plenty of places where you can get a sub enclosure. A lot of people recommend net audio and fox acoustics.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a pic of my setup. Most people think you need to change the head unit to get quality sound, but that's not entirely true. The money some people spend on a head unit can be used on better equipment. In my 2013 express I had the 3.0 radio and people(even stereo shops) couldn't believe how it sounded. The head unit in my setup is only used to feed the high level signal into the processor....that's it. The pic now is of my 2015 sport.

That is beautiful

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry things didn't work out for you. Good luck with the sale!!!!

OP
OP
M

mhb1638

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry things didn't work out for you. Good luck with the sale!!!!

Thanks bud for all your help. You have a very nice setup. I just didn't like where this was going. More and more money. The radio now isn't terrible, so I'll manage. Be nice if I could tweak what I got. Otherwise, No more.