Wanting Nav Unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, I got a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4X4, with the factory CD player with Sirius and Uconnect, I also have the steering wheel controls.

I am wanting a Nav system, that I can continue using all the features my truck offers, as well as add Bluetooth audio streaming (I like keeping it wireless). I have looked at the 430n and 730n, will these work with everything I am wanting to do? Is something completely aftermarket needed?

Any help is needed!

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey, I got a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4X4, with the factory CD player with Sirius and Uconnect, I also have the steering wheel controls.

I am wanting a Nav system, that I can continue using all the features my truck offers, as well as add Bluetooth audio streaming (I like keeping it wireless). I have looked at the 430n and 730n, will these work with everything I am wanting to do? Is something completely aftermarket needed?

Any help is needed!

Don't hold me to it, but IIRC, as long as they are the "high speed" versions, you only need to add in the GPS antenna and it *should* be plug and play.

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't hold me to it, but IIRC, as long as they are the "high speed" versions, you only need to add in the GPS antenna and it *should* be plug and play.

And that is for the 430n and 730n? Are there any good aftermarket ones that may be cheaper alternatives with all the features? From Mopar they are right around 2 grand.

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Let me also mention that I have the Alpine upgrade in my truck.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well it depends. You can pick up a 430n from eBay from time to time for a lot less than you'd pay to a dealer and you'd just have to source an antenna. If you want to go aftermarket, you can pick up everything you need for under a $1100 I'd say. And you'd have the ability to expand the system later on too thanks to built in pre-amp outputs. But it would be a little more involved (the install, changing the satellite service over to the new radio etc.)

EDIT: I saw you just posted you had the Alpine set up too. People have gone different routes, someone with more knowledge might wanna chime in here to what your best option is going to be...my truck doesn't have the Alpine system so I don't want to give you bad info.

Last edited:

Exdeus

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Cummins
Let me also mention that I have the Alpine upgrade in my truck.

Word of advice, if you have the Alpine system and you don't want to modify or replace half of that system, stick with a factory head unit (even the ones you are asking about are fine, as long as they are a Chrysler head unit you should be fine).

The Alpine factory system has an amp that is only programmed to work with the Chrysler head units basically. If you purchase an after-market head unit, you will have to add a custom amp, digital processor and modify a couple of speakers to get really good quality audio.

I put an after market head unit in after I bought the truck and it works fine. However, as soon as the volume gets a bit higher (windows down driving volume), you can hear distortion with the lows. The amp doesn't properly process a non-factory/chrysler head unit to the appropriate speakers.

I just purchased the RBZ head unit (non-nav) on Ebay for $300 shipped and it works awesome. It isn't the flashiest unit, but it sounds great and does everything I need!

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So do both the 430n and 730n do Bluetooth audio streaming? I may go wit the 730 if it does audio streaming through Bluetooth. How do you like your 430? That's what I was worried about with the alpine system is I read if you go aftermarket it doesn't always work right.

rockyram21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to the forum,just looking around at some posts that peak my curiosity and cam across yours.Hammer,sorry can't help with the Nav question but was curious how your Alpine upgrade sounds.I assume you have the 9 speaker system with sub?I just bought a 2009 Ram with the Alpine system and the sound is terrible.Can't even tell there is a sub in there.Cheers.

OP
OP
H

Hammer75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New to the forum,just looking around at some posts that peak my curiosity and cam across yours.Hammer,sorry can't help with the Nav question but was curious how your Alpine upgrade sounds.I assume you have the 9 speaker system with sub?I just bought a 2009 Ram with the Alpine system and the sound is terrible.Can't even tell there is a sub in there.Cheers.

It is definitely not the greatest. I messed with the audio settings and made it a little better, but its still not what I expected. I have heard that if you get a better head unit, the sound can improve.

sirwankel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
can we only use 430n or 730n? There are a bunch of models on eBay for under $400 or around that price. High speed and low speeds. Will any High speed one work? Not sure if they all had navi, but I'm sure the navi on my phone would work better anyways.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Like mentioned above, you can use either the 430n (RHB) or 730n (RHR) as long as they are "High Speed" units. The 430n is a Garmin based navigation unit where the 730n uses NavTeq maps. The 430n does not have direct BT streaming or uConnect built in, unless your truck is equipped with uConnect already. The 730N (RHR) has the uConnect module built into the unit and doesnt require a standalone uConnect kit for the connectivity to work.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
can we only use 430n or 730n? There are a bunch of models on eBay for under $400 or around that price. High speed and low speeds. Will any High speed one work? Not sure if they all had navi, but I'm sure the navi on my phone would work better anyways.

Almost any high speed unit will work but you have to make certain that the bolt mounts are on the sides and not the top/bottom. Top/bottom mount radios wont fit a Ram.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
IMHO Nav on phones is 100% better then Nav in cars just for the fact that the program updates constantly. Best I've used so far is still Google Maps. Guys with Alpine system you will have to gut the stereo and start from scratch, I had this problem with bose systems in GMs.

tprice9427

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMHO Nav on phones is 100% better then Nav in cars just for the fact that the program updates constantly. Best I've used so far is still Google Maps. Guys with Alpine system you will have to gut the stereo and start from scratch, I had this problem with bose systems in GMs.

Agree! The phone is better and cheaper. I use one of 3 maps apps from my phone depending on my mood at the time. Yup, they get updated all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
2013/Big Horn/V8 Hemi/3.55/SLT

PX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Express Crew Cab
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'd give my left, well you know, for a Garmin 2757LM right now. Very cheap alternative, free lifetime maps. Bluetooth too I believe. Plus, I can move it to my wife's Maxima too. 7" screen. Maybe next month!

Chewy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I ordered my truck without the nav for the simple fact that I'd rather use my phone.

It's great! I can sit in my house and set it all up and then get in the truck and use it.

I have a stand alone unit I bought back in '07 and I never use it.

sirwankel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Almost any high speed unit will work but you have to make certain that the bolt mounts are on the sides and not the top/bottom. Top/bottom mount radios wont fit a Ram.

Thanks Jared. I want the touch screen unit for back up camera and such but probably won't use the navigation. I was going to get the uconnect kit for my existing head unit until I get the touch screen unit. My SLT doesn't have very many options so going to slowly get it to where I want it to be.

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
Thanks Jared. I want the touch screen unit for back up camera and such but probably won't use the navigation. I was going to get the uconnect kit for my existing head unit until I get the touch screen unit. My SLT doesn't have very many options so going to slowly get it to where I want it to be.

I hear ya. I went for the RHR Nav unit for simplicity sake. It had uConnect built in and I didn't have to pay the dealer to activate it. I took my RHR, iPod cable, mic and SDARS antenna out of my truck to sell but I can't list in the classifieds yet.

JT