What is the best route for Headunit/NAV. Is the 8.4 worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

almst791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I currently have the 5.0 Ra2 and the functionality isn't bad but I am looking for an upgrade with a nav and iphone features.

My first option was the 8.4RA4, is this upgrade worth it from the 5.0? It doesn't seem to have many other functionalities on top of the ra2.

Second option was the alpine x009-ram but its WAY WAY to damn expensive at 2.8k.

Im looking at a $1500 budget and a headunit that looks sleek in the car with a 7inch+ screen (I dont like hard buttons). Im afraid to just buy another head unit because I think many of them look cheesy.

Anyone have any good routes out there for this upgrade?

-alpine x009 to expensive but plug and play with tons of features and looks sleek
-ra5 8.4- is it worth upgrading to this from a 5.0 (it does look sleek)
-other head units seem to not fit right and to hard of installation to keep original truck features, but have great functionality and are cheaper.

Whats everybodies opinions? My minds blown that I cant find a large thread with nav upgrade options and guides!

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I upgraded my 5.0 to the 8.4 and love it. Backup camera imaging is huge compared to the tiny 5.0 and has active grid lines which is nice. 3D mapping is great and the NAV hasn't let me down yet as far as taking me on a crazy GPS adventure...my old windshield Garmin loved doing that [emoji849]. I'd say go with the 8.4 and use the left over money in your 1500 budget for some other mods [emoji106]. Just my .02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

almst791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I upgraded my 5.0 to the 8.4 and love it. Backup camera imaging is huge compared to the tiny 5.0 and has active grid lines which is nice. 3D mapping is great and the NAV hasn't let me down yet as far as taking me on a crazy GPS adventure...my old windshield Garmin loved doing that [emoji849]. I'd say go with the 8.4 and use the left over money in your 1500 budget for some other mods [emoji106]. Just my .02.

Did you lose climate controls ? can you change and view climate controls from 8.4 screen?

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Everything works as it would if I had it from the factory. Climate controls via knobs or on screen You need to make a conversion harness and buy a new HVAC module to accomplish. Check out the DIY thread for the 8.4 swap. You can manufacture the harness for very cheap and source a used head unit. I have 500 total in my upgrade including new bezel, harness , 2016 8.4, and new HVAC module

OP
OP
A

almst791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Perfect, thank you man I was getting so confused between the 7 blower and 4 blower if the climate controls would work on screen or not. Thank u gonna do the same thing you did, installation doesn't seem to difficult with the 7 blower

OP
OP
A

almst791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thank you sir, I have been studying your post! Appreciate the clear data

OP
OP
A

almst791

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone have guidelines for which 8.4 to buy?

Hey guys, sorry for posting so many questions.

I've decided to buy a 8.4 with the climate control bezel and HVAC and install it on my 2014 ram, I currently have the RA2 5 inch with 7 speed blower.

I am looking for a reasonable price on the 8.4 but I have no guidelines on which one to buy for this install..

Will the ones out of durangos and jeeps fit my ram? also is only the 2014 models compatible with my vehicle? Does it need to be a VA4 or VA3 model?

If anyone has any links or knows where to get these for a reasonable price please let me know, I have been using car-parts.com looking but im afraid that im not looking for the right model.

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
the 8.4 swap thread has all the answers to your questions. i suggest reading through that to get a good understanding before you buy anything.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
the 8.4 swap thread has all the answers to your questions. i suggest reading through that to get a good understanding before you buy anything.
Agreed. You will need to understand a bit more about what you are trying to buy or you will end up wasting money.

You will need to choose between post 2 or 3 (4 speed vs 7speed fan), then extended vs standard length harness. The 8.4 conversion thread (as linked in your other thread) also had a link to the ra4 Info fw thread which lists all verified working ra4 pn's for our RAMs.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Chop413

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That thread has 149 pages, it's impossible to find any information. Lol

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
That thread has 149 pages, it's impossible to find any information. Lol
Everything you need to know is within the first 15 posts and linked in post 2 & 3. There are even separate instruction sheets you can download.

Good rule of thumb on most forums to get caught up: read the first 2 pages and last 2 pages of posts.
It's even better on RamForum vs other sites because it's possible for us to go back and edit our posts/OP beyond 24hrs as we improve mods with feedback from other members.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: