What is this plug just hanging behind the grille on the front of my truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ive only owned this truck for 13 days and today was the first time ive taken the grille off to install Retrofit lights and I happened to notice this plug and I can't figure out what it's for.

Here is a couple pictures:
3ff8e21c5dc076c4a73a238521d8cfeb.jpg43cf3e8d89220855cfb00c8251094e2d.jpg839be17bfdedfe56380715d1f1eab363.jpg6622a752153e4a6045844778ceaa1845.jpg

Can anyone help me identify what this plug is for and why it is unplugged and just hanging on my truck? If it helps, my truck is a 2012 Regular Cab S/T 4x2.

Sent from hell via TapATalk

Jared4.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Bighorn CC
Engine
I would say its for the hood-pin switch that disables remote start when the hood is open. Truck probably already has that harness but the hood latch with the actual switch isnt installed.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would say its for the hood-pin switch that disables remote start when the hood is open. Truck probably already has that harness but the hood latch with the actual switch isnt installed.
Hmmm interesting. Why would Dodge/Chrysler install that on an ST model? Maybe the P.O. had a remote start and took it out before he sold it.

-B-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmmm interesting. Why would Dodge/Chrysler install that on an ST model? Maybe the P.O. had a remote start and took it out before he sold it.

why would they not have it there just to create more inventory streamlining have it there for all build instead of a special harness for trucks with out the remote start

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've got the same thing on my 2012 1500 4x4 BigHorn. I'm curious as to what it is also.
Well than, I shall ask the Ram Service Advisor the next time I'm at my local Ram service center. I will probably be going there next Tuesday or Wednesday to get a few things looked at/fixed that I noticed are "not right" on my "new" (to me) 12' Ram.

I'll make sure I remeber to come back to this post and let you know what he says it is. Maybe Jared4.7 is right and it's just the hood sensor for the remote start. It's highly unlikely, but maybe it's just a plug that's there for absolutely no reason (obviously kidding) ... who knows!

Last edited:

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's for the remote start hood latch. It replaces the factory hood latch assembly when you add the OEM remote start and plugs into the latch. It's most likely there as a previous poster said, to streamline harness manufacturing. From what I've seen on the forum here most of the RC model Rams come prewired for everything you would be able to get in a top end model RC so that they only had to make one harness to cover all trim levels of the RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkfbb9c61bdd949e18998b14c19f113bfe.jpg

Last edited:

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yup my 2011 had that and I added the factory remote start and it plugged right in. I had to take the truck to the dealer to install the win module and get the new keys programmed but I did that part of the install and it saved me a few bucks.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yup my 2011 had that and I added the factory remote start and it plugged right in. I had to take the truck to the dealer to install the win module and get the new keys programmed but I did that part of the install and it saved me a few bucks.
Nice forum name !

Go Hogs beat Va Tech !

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's for the remote start hood latch. It replaces the factory hood latch assembly when you add the OEM remote start and plugs into the latch. It's most likely there as a previous poster said, to streamline harness manufacturing. From what I've seen on the forum here most of the RC model Rams come prewired for everything you would be able to get in a top end model RC so that they only had to make one harness to cover all trim levels of the RC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkfbb9c61bdd949e18998b14c19f113bfe.jpg

So my truck should have all the harnesses for stuff like the overhead display with the lights and stuff because right now I don't have anything on my roof except a roof liner [emoji53] and also it should have the harnesses for power heated seats and anything else a truck like an R/T would have??

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my truck should have all the harnesses for stuff like the overhead display with the lights and stuff because right now I don't have anything on my roof except a roof liner [emoji53] and also it should have the harnesses for power heated seats and anything else a truck like an R/T would have??

Theoretically, yes lol. One way to find out...pull the headliner down a little or take a look at the plugs under the seat. I do know it is way easier to MOD the 09-12s as far as getting things flashed from the dealers. CANBUS system wasn't as awesome (sarcasm) yet in those models. Before my wife totaled my 12 Sport I had added the OEM remote start and backup camera. Way easier than when I put it on my 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Theoretically, yes lol. One way to find out...pull the headliner down a little or take a look at the plugs under the seat. I do know it is way easier to MOD the 09-12s as far as getting things flashed from the dealers. CANBUS system wasn't as awesome (sarcasm) yet in those models. Before my wife totaled my 12 Sport I had added the OEM remote start and backup camera. Way easier than when I put it on my 14.

Yea I'm actually taking the seats out this weekend for something else. And wouldn't the harness for the overhead lights be wrapped up in the driverside A pillar instead of behind the roof liner?

Thanks for your help. Glad to know adding sales codes is easier in 09-12's

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea I'm actually taking the seats out this weekend for something else. And wouldn't the harness for the overhead lights be wrapped up in the driverside A pillar instead of behind the roof liner?

Thanks for your help. Glad to know adding sales codes is easier in 09-12's

Putting those seat covers on? Take your time and they'll turn out great. The disconnect is at the A pillar that's correct but the overhead harnesses themselves are molded into the headliner when they come off the line. Kinda sucks because you can't order a replacement harness without the headliner. I was able to source the connector I needed from a donor overhead when I added the rear window switch to mine for folding my mirrors. Do you have an overhead console at all or just the rear dome light? I think, not 100%, but if you have the dome light you should have the entire harness up there since it's a RC. Good luck

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Putting those seat covers on? Take your time and they'll turn out great. The disconnect is at the A pillar that's correct but the overhead harnesses themselves are molded into the headliner when they come off the line. Kinda sucks because you can't order a replacement harness without the headliner. I was able to source the connector I needed from a donor overhead when I added the rear window switch to mine for folding my mirrors. Do you have an overhead console at all or just the rear dome light? I think, not 100%, but if you have the dome light you should have the entire harness up there since it's a RC. Good luck

Yea I'm putting the Clazzio covers on. Being a RC there isn't enough room to maneuver behind the seats enough so I figure I'd just take em out to make it easier and quicker. My 06 Quad Cab I could have done it with the seats still in. But yea all I have is the light in the back and it's horrible having to turn the little wheel everytime I need light lol