Where to get power for in cab accessories?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've found the clutch pedal plate as a great route to get wires into the cab, but am now stymied on where to tap into power on my 2015 Ram. I can go to the fuse box under the hood, but don't see how/where to actually route wire into it. Is there a ready source under the dash?

Even though it's a couple years old now, it's my first (and possibly last) new vehicle, and I'm loath to poke holes or cut on it. Especially electrically.

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
Hey bud, you can get power a few different ways, you can pull power from one of the many cigar lighters or run from positive terminal on battery but alway use an inline fuse and switch though because the battery and some of the cigar lighters are constant power so you will need switches and inline fuses. Good luck bud and be careful. Make sure you cut power to truck before install or you might fry somthing, very easy to do to these rams.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What I did at first was grab switched ignition off of the cigarette lighter which triggered a relay for power, There is a 12v constant wire (several of them) at the BCM, This is what I did with my first accessory I added and as I added more I realized I need a better way so I went with a battery isolator/relay that was 200 amp. What I did for that was grabbed ignition, ground and constant outside the truck (under the hood and with the constant fused) to the isolator, then ran a 4 gauge wire into the cab which then connects to a Fuse block feeding 8 different terminals that can be fused for any accessory I want to have or add.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no matter where you get it from RELAY it and only use it as a trigger for the relay!

OP
OP
billyw

billyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The relay is a good idea, probably especially on these newer vehicles. How are you getting power from, let's say, a cigar lighter? Do you cut a wire, or is there and accessible plug? Is there an easy access ground inside the cab?

Yeah, I'm asking you all to do my research for me. Thanks! :)

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
to trigger the relay i just tapped onto my power at the cig lighter. stripped the wire wrap it around solder and tape or you can military splice also.