Will this "oem" tailgate handle backup camera work with my RBZ radio?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
So I just bought this Town & Country RBZ to install on my 2012 Ram.

274f21d11bb72459a49a4e35051ee188.jpg27b7e53db88f1175cf92ccc1a5c9bb97.jpg

So will this "OEM" back up camera work with this RBZ?

Dodge RAM Tailgate Backup Camera (2009-2017)

Thanks im advance.

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1. I thought you can get the 09-12 re programmed like the 13+ to accept the cam?

2. these tailgates have tons of room in them, you can use any "bullet" style cam in the handle. you can get most of these cams for under $50

but yes if they cant re-program it then you need a lockpic type device and it will be plug and play.

Do those radios have theft codes that need to be re-set when put into a new vehicle?

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1. I thought you can get the 09-12 re programmed like the 13+ to accept the cam?

2. these tailgates have tons of room in them, you can use any "bullet" style cam in the handle. you can get most of these cams for under $50

but yes if they cant re-program it then you need a lockpic type device and it will be plug and play.

Do those radios have theft codes that need to be re-set when put into a new vehicle?

Yeah, it will more then likely ask you for the antitheft code when you install it.... did the seller give you the code??? If not, I think you can get it from the dealership if you know the vin from the original vehicle.

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Yeah, it will more then likely ask you for the antitheft code when you install it.... did the seller give you the code??? If not, I think you can get it from the dealership if you know the vin from the original vehicle.
Yea he said he bought it from someone else and it didn't ask him for the code when he put it in. He also said he updated the firmware to the latest update which turned it Gray theme. Which is the latest 50.01.01 update.

As for the back up cam, why would I need a lockpick? Isn't that just for when you want camera in motion, dvd and nav in motion? I thought the backup camera should just work since 2012s came with them as an option

• 2012 Ram 1500 RCSB Hemi • 22" SRT-10 Wheels Plastidipped Black w/ Bridgestone Tires • Smoked Taillights • Custom Quad Headlights • Opt-7 FluxBeam-X 6000k LED Lows • MicTuning 6000k LED Fogs • K&N 63 Series CAI • Flowmasters Muffler • Line-X Bed • OEM Black Badges All Around • 20% Tint All Around • Lund Tri-Fold Tonneau + plenty more coming soon...

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
He also doesn't know the vin from the original car. My truck is still in the shop getting the broken manifold bolts fixed so I can't even put this radio in and try it yet.

But once I do and I'm pretty sure it's gonna ask for the code, if it does, I'm filing a money back request with eBay and paypal.

I also found this site, incase I need the antitheft code.

https://www.onlineradiocodes.co.uk/chrysler-radio-codes*
I found this*

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As for the back up cam, why would I need a lockpick? Isn't that just for when you want camera in motion, dvd and nav in motion? I thought the backup camera should just work since 2012s came with them as an option

Nope, it's just like all 09 to current RAMs, you have to use the OEM backup camera and have the dealership flash the code. If you go aftermarket, then you use a lockpick to activate the camera you your radio.

***edit**

Looking again at the camera you posted, you might be able to just get the dealership to flash the code since it looks like it comes with a factory style connector on the harness. Most aftermarket ones just end in a RCA plug and that's why you need the lockpick....

Last edited:
OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Nope, it's just like all 09 to current RAMs, you have to use the OEM backup camera and have the dealership flash the code. If you go aftermarket, then you use a lockpick to activate the camera you your radio.
Ok so if i buy the oem camera, the dealer can just Flash my truck to turn that feature on? Good to know. Thanks.

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so if i buy the oem camera, the dealer can just Flash my truck to turn that feature on? Good to know. Thanks.

See my EDITED comment above.....

OP
OP
OnSale

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
See my EDITED comment above.....
Cool. I'm gonna order that backup camera and see if they can Flash it. If not I'll have to order a lockpick.

Thanks for your help.

Moparkid13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Would like to see an update. Did this work and what did you have to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ramzaq

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 CC 4X4 3.55 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Would like to see an update. Did this work and what did you have to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are considering this upgrade it will work.

The RBZ radio along with other Mygig radios are plug and play (2009 - 2012) in the Ram as long as they are a high speed can bus radio. Low speed can bus will not work.

The camera will work, but you may have to run the harness to the tailgate if your truck is not prewired for it and do the wire hook up to the radio and the TIPM.

For the radio to display the back up camera the dealer will have to flash the radio with sales code XAC. The other route would be with the Lockpick as mentioned in an earlier post, this does not require the dealer code.