Wire USB receptacle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tawag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Hi everyone. I just bought a 2017 Dodge Ram Crew Express. I would like to wire up a 12V and USB receptacle in the back. I was hoping there was a fuse panel in the cab with a spare fuse slot. But there is not even a fuse panel inside. I found spare fuse slots under the hood, but if I use that fuse how do I get in the cab with the wire. I don't want to drill a hole. I also only want power if the key is on.
My first Dodge truck and I love it so far.

Thanks

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
Part of the fuse panel should be switched power.

Remove the battery and battery tray. Then there are 4 push clips that hold the fuse box in place. Once you have all that removed you'll have access to the wiring harness and the bottom side of the fuse panel. One side of the panel is switched hot. Add your fuse and run the wire along the harness and through the firewall at the boot where the main harness goes through. Then just route it where you need inside the truck.

There should be plenty of open fuse locations in the fuse panel.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
I used the power line for the power seats. My truck doesn’t have power seats so the hook up was right there. I put two USB ports in the back. Mounted them to the sides of the vents in the back. Right under the center console. Looks and works great!! Easy install.

OP
OP
T

Tawag

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That's a good idea. Ill look for the power line for the seats. I assume its a connector under the drivers seat.
Thanks

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Look for a pink wire with yellow stripe. That is switched 12v.

Reactions: kad

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Look for a pink wire with yellow stripe. That is switched 12v.

Clifford,
Could you tell me which of the connectors under the driver's seat this wire is in? I'm color blind and just hunting for a pink wire amongst the multiple connectors I see under there isn't working well for me. (And if you're feeling really nice, which wire position in the connector it is? :) )

Thanks!
-Keith

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
I used the power line for the power seats. My truck doesn’t have power seats so the hook up was right there. I put two USB ports in the back. Mounted them to the sides of the vents in the back. Right under the center console. Looks and works great!! Easy install.

That sounds sexy. Got pics? This could be a great mod if you were so inclined to document? (pretty please, lol!)

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
I don’t know how easy it will be to get a pic of the wiring under the seat.
I’ll snap a pic or two tomorrow of the outlets.

Last edited:

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I don’t know how easy it will be to get a pic of the wiring under the seat.

If you could try, that'd be great. Mine are pretty visible by looking in from the front.

Thanks,
Keith

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cool i’ll Take some tomorrow. Mine are very unnoticeable unless I tell ya they are there. Right on the sides of the vents in the back. I was actually going to mount then in the cup holder in the back seat but they wouldn’t work. That would have been better. Wish that would have worked out...lol

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Cool i’ll Take some tomorrow. Mine are very unnoticeable unless I tell ya they are there. Right on the sides of the vents in the back. I was actually going to mount then in the cup holder in the back seat but they wouldn’t work. That would have been better. Wish that would have worked out...lol

Actually, I was referring to the wiring harness plugs under the driver's seat being easy to see/photograph. I'm looking for more info on the heated seat wire as I'm color blind and can't find a pink & yellow wire just by it's color.

-K

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gotcha!