Wiring in the console for CD player?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Before I begin let me state that I'm not interested in suggestions for alternatives to CD's, thank you.

I am planning on installing a CD player in my '14 console and wondered if anyone knows if the wiring harness is already set up or if I'd have to run my own leads? I am planning on searching for an OEM unit. I've seen aftermarket units that are mounted against the interior wall with L brackets and a hole needs to be drilled to pass the wiring and I don't know if the necessary connections/connectors are in there already or not. I haven't attempted to look yet as I only recently got the truck and haven't had the opportunity to dig into it. My initial attempt at gaining information got relocated to the "Wanted" section because I phrased the title wrong. I'm looking for helpful input from others who may have done this or have the insight on how things were wired from the factory.

Booms

The OG
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
Whipple 5.7 • SmoothBoost!
I installed a OEM CD player in My '15 Express. I had the RA 5.0 radio in my truck at that time. The OEM CD player is incorporated into the center console. I plugged it in, and it powered up, but You have to have a code activated at the dealership...Infotainment also has a genie that will activate it.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
the cd player wiring is not there on non cd trucks.you can buy a factory sub harness for around 100.00.its just the console harness and includes the cd wiring that branches off the harness.there is several of them though according to options like heated rear seats and such.do you have heated rear seats?if i have time i will do some digging and round up some part numbers.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input so far. No I don't have rear heated seats, only front. I have the radio that is one step up from base, whatever model that is.

I was just inspired to look under the bucket in the console but discovered the screws are Torx and not Philips so that ain't happening today!

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
part number for console wiring with cd player no heated seats is 68233577ab online price 96.00.this simple goes in place of the harness your console already has.but if you go this way you will have to buy a cd player used around 60.00 or new 160.00 and fab some mounts and drill a hole inside your console for the cd player plug.and then have the dealer flash.infotainments mounts the same way but it comes with the brackets and a metal cover.what color is your console base black or beige?i can get you that part number for the factory cd console base it includes the cd player with it and is molded into the base.its about 300.00.but i ordered three before i got one that wasn't broken.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I may just hit up the dealer first before I get too crazy on this.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Infotainment doesn't have a Genie for the CD player (at least they didn't the last time I asked). Their kit ships with an external module that stays connected and enables the CD.

I have the factory CD player wired in and it will load and eject discs but I have no soft key for it on the radio.

I'm pretty familiar with getting factory options configured and working but I haven't been able to get this one so far.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have a dealer flash for option. Code ra1.mine charged me 60.00 it varies of course.the CD option was at least available on the 5.0 radio. not sure about the 3.0.so If someone has the 5.0 radio or up the dealer can flash the code as the ra1 option would be available.

OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just came from the dealer parts department. I was thinking/hoping I might find all that I needed available from FCA. Apparently they no longer make any factory items available. Looks like I'm on my own finding a factory arrangement or else opting for that add on unit that mounts in the console and needs to be wired in with a hole in the tub. The parts guy was empathetic since he has a RAM that also does not have a CD player. His 500+ CD's are sitting idle at home while he suffer through Bluetooth and flash drives. But He DID allow that he has broken out his vinyl collection and turntable at home! Since he and I are both in the same general age bracket we were licking our collective wounds!

Moving right along~~~~

Last edited:

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
try online at all mopar parts or tasca parts.when i checked the parts showed avaliable.mopar parts distribution is wierd. i,ve been told 30 day waiting times on parts at my local dealer and order them online and have them across country in 2 days.members on here have had warranty work done and had to wait weeks on parts that were in stock at other dealers.

et todd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
looks like 68233577ac is the new number that replaces the one with aa/ab.but the parts computer should show the update.did you just ask about the cd player or did you actually give him parts numbers to look up?

Last edited:
OP
OP
patchelect

patchelect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to the dealer last week and stood with the parts guy while he looked on his computer as well as in a catalog. He came up with a big zero. We spent a good 15 minutes looking. I'll try Tasca. I'm hoping to find a physical blow up image to pick items from. I'm uncomfortable going with numbers and not correlating them to specific images and placement.

BTW, the 68233577ac is for a wiring harness only. And I've looked on the Tasca site and come up with another goose egg as well. And whatever Mopar Parts Distribution site I try has the same search and the same results.

Maybe I'll break out my Cassette player!

Last edited: