Wiring for speaker and amp upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamCrew15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have a 2015 Big Horn with standard 6 speaker 8.4 Uconnect without the Alpine system. I'm upgrading all the speakers and installing a LOC, 5 channel amp and adding a sub. A few threads have mentioned that the door speaker and dash speaker are wired in parallel. Can anyone confirm this and if so, then how many ohms will that be if I disconnect the dash speaker from the door speaker and keep the dash speakers hooked to the HU. (I'll likely replace those dash speakers as well but want to keep hooked to HU only). Also, I'm planning on tapping into the speaker wires behind the radio, but I've pulled the HU out and it seems there is not a lot of excess wire. What is the best way and location to tap into the speaker wires in the back of the HU?

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
front doors and dash speakers are in parallel. Front door 6x9 is 4ohm and the 3.5 in dash is 8ohm. there is also a 2.2 cap on the dash speakers.

I tapped behind the radio and installed my LOC there. My LOC is a 4-channel one.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To run the front doors and dash speakers you will need to run new wiring to 1 of those 2 locations. I choose to use the factory harness as Im only running low power from the JBL MS8, but the dash speakers I needed to run new wires from the amp. Its a lot easier to run wire to the dash speakers vs the doors.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What speakers are you looking at for the fronts? I'm asking because you could easily go with a three way component set in the front and still use a five channel amp. They start at around $300.

OP
OP
R

RamCrew15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks for the info

front doors and dash speakers are in parallel. Front door 6x9 is 4ohm and the 3.5 in dash is 8ohm. there is also a 2.2 cap on the dash speakers.

I tapped behind the radio and installed my LOC there. My LOC is a 4-channel one.

Thanks for the info on the speakers. I considered running all new wire but would rather use existing wiring, but not much room behind the dash. I have a Lc7i LOC which is pretty large so ill have to mount it in the back with the amp.

OP
OP
R

RamCrew15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
To run the front doors and dash speakers you will need to run new wiring to 1 of those 2 locations. I choose to use the factory harness as Im only running low power from the JBL MS8, but the dash speakers I needed to run new wires from the amp. Its a lot easier to run wire to the dash speakers vs the doors.
Agreed. Should be much easier to run new wires to the dash. Thanks

OP
OP
R

RamCrew15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
What speakers are you looking at for the fronts? I'm asking because you could easily go with a three way component set in the front and still use a five channel amp. They start at around $300.
I got the 6.5 Polk Components DB6502 for the front and rear. That's a good idea, I didn't think of using a 3-way. Maybe i can ditch the tweeter that came with the components and use a new 3.5 in the dash as the crossed over tweeter. I think the crossovers are adjustable so I might try that.

muscleram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ditch the dash speaker and hook up a tweeter on the top of the door panel

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got the 6.5 Polk Components DB6502 for the front and rear. That's a good idea, I didn't think of using a 3-way. Maybe i can ditch the tweeter that came with the components and use a new 3.5 in the dash as the crossed over tweeter. I think the crossovers are adjustable so I might try that.

That crossover may not go low enough to make a 3" worth it. If you had a DSP you could make that work nicely by running the front stage active. Using a midrange in the dash and a tweeter in the sail panel will normally result in excellent staging and a wide, deep image. Done right it can sound like the singer is sitting on the hood.