Won't starts with key. Remote start works fine. ??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hemispherical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I'm having a brand new issue with my truck not starting. When I turn the key, all of the dash lights come on normally and the fuel pump fires up, but when I turn the key to start it, nothing happens.

Oddly enough, the factory remote start will start the truck and I can drive normally after it is running.

If I remove the battery cable for just a few seconds, the key will work again for up to a couple of days. Any help on this would be appreciated.

2009 Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Battery low in your key? Doesn't sound likely but a cheep thing to try

OP
OP
Hemispherical

Hemispherical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
It's always the simple things you don't think of. I'll give that a shot today. Although it's been a while since it was replaced, the fact that it will work after removing the battery cable is leading me to believe it's some bug. I'll post back with results. Thanks.

rob2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought the battery in the key gets recharged when in the ignition?

OP
OP
Hemispherical

Hemispherical

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
?not sure. I've had the truck for a couple of years and haven't replaced the key battery.

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
As I understand it, the chip in the fobik can be read by the ignition regardless of the fobik's battery level. Battery exists only for remote features, not to 'power' the chip.

(Kinda like the old GM keys with chips,,, chip itself requires no battery)

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
haha that's how it worked in my (09) BMW anyway, thought it was common sense for newer cars. :naughty:

maybe expensive cars...

look at the tip of the dodge fob its all encased in the plastic. and too small for any wireless charging. no metal to make contact to charge

OP i think its something with the WIN module (win module is the ignition switch)

jwheeler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Agree with Baum, it is likely a problem with the start circuit in the WCM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

barry hanna

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since it's a 2009, it may be time for a fresh main battery if it hasn't been replaced. Many of the issues in our "rolling computers" relate back to the main battery being at less than an optimum charge state. I use a CTEK or Battery Tender type of charger every once and a while to keep things topped-up.

baum

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Since it's a 2009, it may be time for a fresh main battery if it hasn't been replaced. Many of the issues in our "rolling computers" relate back to the main battery being at less than an optimum charge state. I use a CTEK or Battery Tender type of charger every once and a while to keep things topped-up.

Good point also!

its sad but even the best automotive batteries are only good for 3-5 years

DaKing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
I have a problem like this. I have to wiggle my key fob or hold it a select way and turn to get truck to start. The key socket is very loose. If I bump the key as driving, it'll shut the truck off.

So, I'm thinking going remote start. If I add remote start, do you "need" to insert the key at any time after the truck is started? If not, then adding remote start will be the best cost effective solution.

Dealer wants ~$300 to program a used KEY Socket, and almost $700 to install and program a new key socket.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
remote start only starts the truck.

a key will still need to be inserted, to place vehicle into gear and drive and used, just like normal

Dave

Razorbackfan

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have a problem like this. I have to wiggle my key fob or hold it a select way and turn to get truck to start. The key socket is very loose. If I bump the key as driving, it'll shut the truck off.

So, I'm thinking going remote start. If I add remote start, do you "need" to insert the key at any time after the truck is started? If not, then adding remote start will be the best cost effective solution.

Dealer wants ~$300 to program a used KEY Socket, and almost $700 to install and program a new key socket.

You can buy the remote start kit for less than $300 and it comes with the key socket plus two fobs and a hinge with wiring. Not sure what they quoted you $700 for.

SLT617

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500, 2011 2500, 2016 3500
Engine
hemi 5.7

What did you end up doing? I just noticed that I have to wiggle my fob in order to get the truck to start. I haven't had an issue of it shutting off if I bump it though.