working on a stereo build........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
working on my stereo budget build......

so back in late 2004 I starting modding a 2003 Chevy CC 1500HD..........paid a local mobile audio shop with a "good reputation" around 6k to build a killer stereo system...........HUGE FAIL!!!! On top of the 6k I paid them, I had already purchased a ($1k at the time) JL1000/1..........7k total cost and a ridiculous nightmare.

I suppose that sort-of tainted my wanting anything more than stock for a while.

Fast Forward to 2015. Decided to try again.

New rules:

1. Budget Build
2. I will install everything myself
3. I "will" enjoy the hell out of it instead of having a mountain of regret!

So Far I've accumulated:

1x Sundown Audio SA-10 D2 Rev 2 - Sundown Audio 10" Dual 2-Ohm SA Series Sub

1x Pioneer GM-D8601 Class D Mono 800W amp

1x Pioneer GM-D8604 Class FD 4-Channel 600W amp

1x Pioneer TS-D1720C 6.75-Inch D-Series Components

1x Stinger RKX36B Roadkill Expert Series Sound Damping Material Bulk Pack

2x Dynamat 11101 Dynaliner 32" x 54" x 1/8" Thick Self-Adhesive Sound Deadener

To date I've built the subwoofer box using Sundown's specs.......went with a slot ported box (first ported box I've ever built actually) and I'm saving my pennies to finish purchasing the rest of the parts I'll need.

Still need/want to purchase:

AudioControl 6XS 6 Channel Electronic Crossover

Pioneer AVHX5700BHS

and associated install wiring/adapters needed to make everything work :patriot:

adrianp89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Look forward to the pics! Those Pioneer TS-Ds are killer for the money.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Out of curiosity, why do you need the audio control xover if you have built in xovers in the head unit and amps?

Almost forgot, you will have to cut some metal to get your headunit in there. $4 mini hack saw worked great for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Out of curiosity, why do you need the audio control xover if you have built in xovers in the head unit and amps?

Almost forgot, you will have to cut some metal to get your headunit in there. $4 mini hack saw worked great for me.

:naughty:

well that has to do with another idea I was batting around..... was thinking I might use 2 of the channels on the 4-channel amp and run them to the 6XS and run a set of 3.5" coaxials in the dash and some 6.5" dedicated mid bass drivers in the rear corners of the cab......obviously the other two channels will be running the Pioneers.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some pics of the sub box:

20150221_1433242_zpshxkb4eii.jpg

20150221_1434022_zpsurpre7it.jpg

20150222_0840583_zpsmaxx5oae.jpg

Not finished but close. Figuring out how I want to secure the Sundown sub.....

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
to fasten the sub i would look into threaded inserts. that way if you have to remove the sub at all you dont keep putting more holes into the box.

Search Results for*threaded insert*at The Home Depot

why plywood for the port and mdf for the rest?

ok cool, will look into them :)

well sort of a lazy reason I suppose, all I had to build the box was a circular saw, a dremel, and a hand sander so I cheated a bit and used precut wood to establish the box width = less cuts.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Beautiful box. How do you plan on finishing it?

thanks man......so far I'm coating it with bondo.......going back and forth between, Linex coating and upholstery......still haven't decided.

20150307_1451222_zpsnwlh58dr.jpg

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Im in the process of doing my RCSB too. Things I am finding out that might help:

Rear speakers are halfway covered by your seatbelt and seat itself. My coax's are very subtle there even with the tweeter set at 0 db. You would likely be better with dedicated mid bass. There is a decent amount of depth for rear speakers. I think parts express has a 6x9 sub but might its 8 ohm.

Dash speakers are okay, but take some tuning. I put some Polk 3.5 coax in mine running off a pioneer head unit. They get super loud from the max 18 watts. They have bass blockers on them from Polk but I think its like 80 Hz at 6 db so they sound bad until I can get the estimated 150 Hz blocker on them.

Dynamat everything you can reach. I did the back of the cab and the back of all the interior trim and I think it helps a lot. If you don't have torx bits yet, invest in a set for a ratchet up to size T50 (seatbelts).

Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im in the process of doing my RCSB too. Things I am finding out that might help:

Rear speakers are halfway covered by your seatbelt and seat itself. My coax's are very subtle there even with the tweeter set at 0 db. You would likely be better with dedicated mid bass. There is a decent amount of depth for rear speakers. I think parts express has a 6x9 sub but might its 8 ohm.

Dash speakers are okay, but take some tuning. I put some Polk 3.5 coax in mine running off a pioneer head unit. They get super loud from the max 18 watts. They have bass blockers on them from Polk but I think its like 80 Hz at 6 db so they sound bad until I can get the estimated 150 Hz blocker on them.

Dynamat everything you can reach. I did the back of the cab and the back of all the interior trim and I think it helps a lot. If you don't have torx bits yet, invest in a set for a ratchet up to size T50 (seatbelts).

Keep the updates coming!

Hey thanks man! Very much appreciated. Great info!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
slight change in plans.........after more research I'm going to try and tackle the factory U-Connect 5.0 integration instead of aftermarket HU. It was what I originally wanted to do anyway.

First issue I found was to figure out a way to use a LOC that shows no resistance (i.e. LC2i) which is what I have.
Solution: there seems to be a fairly simple fix and that is to use resistors at the LOC terminal pickup so the factory HU sees resistance and will function.

Second issue was using LOC's in pickup locations where there are not full audio signals.
Solution: Going to run a LC2i off the door speaker wires for the sub signal/going to run another LC2i of the rear speaker wires to get mids and highs/components signal.

So beyond the wiring/sound proofing/and basic install hurdles that are sure to pop up that is the "going in gameplan"

From what I've read online but with some questions still not definitively answered I think this just might work. Obviously, that is accepting some compromises.

Also, any links to panel removal, sound deadener installs, or helpful hints are appreciated.

S

scotts2012ram

Look into sky high wire very good product. All my wiring is sky high wiring. I like it comes in alot of colors I'm using green and black to match my truck

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sky high is great wire, also take a look at KnuKoncepts and T-Spec which IMO maybe made by the same manufacturer as stinger.

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
Instead of 2 LOC's, I think your amps each have RCA outs. 1 less thing to worry about.

Here's a link on speaker removal. There might be a difference in the door handle removal with your truck. Shouldn't be very different.
http://www.ramforum.com/f75/how_swap_out_speakers-17999/

Almost forgot, I have an older audiocontrol 4XS crossover which I never used if you are interested.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like I'll be going with KnuKonceptz copper wiring and install gear....best bang for the buck I could find.

adrum, the main reason I wanted the LC2i's is for the clean signal and volume correction features but as you've mentioned I may not need the LOC for the mids/high......problem is I don't know if the factory volume adjustment when listening at higher volumes extend into the mid/high frequencies so in essence I'm attempting to eliminate a variable that may or may not exist......lol......wish I new more about this factory integration stuff.

BCMark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good choice on the Knukonceptz, I've been really happy with their stuff. Very flexible wire and seems overall to be of great quality.

Are you planning to use your head unit's volume control or a volume control on the LOC?

newtoidaho

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7 v6
What are the dimensions? I am going to build a box and want it to fit in the plastic bin like you have. Does it get in the way of reclining?