working on a stereo build........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did some on the floors and up behind the dash, though the factory stuff isn't bad in some areas under there.

Oh, and I also did two layers under the hood, which cut the engine noise down...

Basically, if idling at a stop light or cruising at 50mph, there was no engine or exhaust sound audible in the cab. Only under acceleration.

Thanks man, those pics really help out!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
update: installed the kicker 3.5" coaxials in the dash with some 800Hz bass blockers and the kicker 6x9" coaxials in the rear cab. Very nice upgrade in sound with a slight increase in overall volume. Setting changes: turned loudness setting off, turned auto adjusted road volume off, left fader control centered in cab (was previously centered on the driver), and lowered bass/midrange/and treble settings across the board.

so far so good. Some songs sound moderately better while others sound phenomenal for such a conservative change.

Those little 3.5's impress!

j1877p

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Setting changes: turned loudness setting off, turned auto adjusted road volume off, left fader control centered in cab (was previously centered on the driver), and lowered bass/midrange/and treble settings across the board.

Wait a second.......you have a loudness setting on your factory head unit? What the hell? Anyone know if the 8.4a has it?

Sorry to hijack. Like the build so far.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wait a second.......you have a loudness setting on your factory head unit? What the hell? Anyone know if the 8.4a has it?

Sorry to hijack. Like the build so far.

Sorry for the delay in response, just got back from being out to sea brother;
Yes, there is both a loudness setting (not sure what freqs it actually enhances) and a drive adjusted volume setting.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
good news..........I'm finally retiring from active duty! It's been a great 20yrs, but time for a change and a little more family!

With that said, these audio parts have been sitting around waaay to long.....going to get them installed very soon. It's looking like I'll start the build in about a month; give or take.

Stock battery died since I've been overseas so I think I'm going to try an XS Power......seems to be a decent enough battery with car audio in mind.

Finally, the wiring.....still need to get all that ordered up but waiting until I get back to take some measurements.....looking forward to a solid sound system

Last edited:

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Congrats on the retirement, I have 10 years in myself. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Congrats on the retirement, I have 10 years in myself. Can't wait to see how this turns out.

thanks man......I think it's totally worth the retirement to do 20......after that, to each his own.....never the greatest for a family. I started late so my youngest is only 3, still plenty of father/son projects left to do over the years.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
pulled the trigger on this badboy............at least I hope its a badboy

D4800-turn.jpg

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
little update. So I installed my Kicker KS coaxials in the dash and rear cab last year and was happy with their sound on some types of music but not as much with other types. I had road volume set to 2, bass boost off, and the EQ tuned to what sounded good to me at lower volume settings.

Knowing that I was going to keep these speakers powered off of the stock HU when I added a powered subwoofer and component speakers, I decided to turn road volume off, bass boost off, and set the EQ to flat to see what would happen.

What a difference! Every type of music sounds good now! This was a night and day change to my ears. The lower volumes are not as loud as before but the clarity of the music is much much better and I can use all of my volume now, where as before I maxed out at around 25-27. This was also a concern because I didn't want my stock powered speakers distorting before the amplified speakers did at higher listening volumes.

What a great zero dollar upgrade this turned out to be!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going to use these on the LC2i so the factory stereo sees a load. These were the lowest wattage I could find that mounted like this.....fingers crossed.....

B028F961-E542-4B70-9685-67276C0C6A93_zpsgpgphfb7.jpg

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
fingers crossed, I'll finish up my suspension mods this weekend and get started on this stereo install that's been sitting in my closet since 2015!! doh!!

BIG 3 and wiring kit on its way!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Damnit! I messed up! lol, I thought I ordered 100% 4 gauge OFC power cable for the amps, turns out I bought 10%OFC(blame it on middle agedness!!), CCA 4 gauge cable. Oh well, can't get'em all right I suppose so I'm just going to roll with it. It's not like this is going to be some ridiculous build or anything......Just a nice stock HU speaker upgrade with 2 lower power amps. Hopefully I'll get to start this install in a couple of days!

adurm

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RCSB
Engine
I'm sure it will be fine. Keep pushing forward.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok ordered the last of the supplies "hopefully" needed, a random length of 1/0 OFC cable, some lugged ends for solid connection, a pair of RCA cables, and some heat shrink. Hoping to start this project this weekend.........yes after Christmas....hell....maybe even on Christmas!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick update; I have everything I need to complete the install I just can't bring myself to finish until I can figure out why my truck keeps leaking when it rains....especially since the subwoofer box is make out of mdf.....I'll keep you guys posted when I get that issue sorted!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the third brake light.

RAM already replaced the 3rd bake light with the updated one; I still had the leak so I added some rtv as some have done on here, she still leaked, so I'm thinking in may be the window........still trying to figure it out

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok great news! My truck cab no longer leaks, was both a 3rd brake light leak (initial fix) and a rear window leak.

Ordered the last few parts I needed to complete the install.

2x Audio Control LGD's

lgd-pair-connected.jpg

and some larger wire for subwoofer connections!

Will start the sound deadening portion of the install soon!!