XM radio problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lucky1267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2013 RAM 1500 and my XM radio reception is always spotty or non existent. I have contacted XM multiple times and they are useless...has anyone had this problem...perhaps it is the antenna or is it the entire radio? Any help would be appreciated

Ghost2013SCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same problem here (2013-1500). Gonna try to the disconnect fuse fix I’ve read on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rob.stack1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can try replacing your roof antenna. I was having issues with with my truck when I bought it where the nav and Sirius wouldn’t work. Ended up needing to replace the antenna. My truck is a 2014

James3117

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My xm and nav works, but the xm radio is bad quality. One channel will play as if I have a CD player and the next will play as if it's Fm radio? This is the only vehicle with xm radio I ever owned to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I live in western ky so it's not mountains blocking the signal. I used to live in eastern ky and xm radio was basically useless. The first post I saw on here reminds me of that. Thanks

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
My xm and nav works, but the xm radio is bad quality. One channel will play as if I have a CD player and the next will play as if it's Fm radio? This is the only vehicle with xm radio I ever owned to do this. Does anyone have any suggestions? I live in western ky so it's not mountains blocking the signal. I used to live in eastern ky and xm radio was basically useless. The first post I saw on here reminds me of that. Thanks

That is probably the compression that SXM uses. I have heard the same with the audio quality from station to station.

99vfrpilot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having the same problem as the OP on this thread. Not getting any help from XM or RAM so I bought an OEM antenna and now instead of no signal at all, I am getting intermittent signal for about 5 minutes then the dreaded "acquiring signal" message. I have to assume it's the factory xm receiver. I have the 8.4 screen.

What is the "disconnect fuse fix" - searched but can't locate that.

I guess one option would be to replace the whole unit. ugh.

stanleybadams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Noticed after buying a used 2013 truck that when making a 4k mile western state trip that whenever I filled up the xm satellite radio stopped working. I suggest that it is a very small power differentral or static charge. Power cycling the radio would usally bring it back but it may be the antenna, which holds a LNA, low noise amplifier because the satellites are 25k miles above the earth. If I can ground the gas line to the body of the truck that may fix it, but I suggest that as a source of trouble. I am an old RF engineer

Outbreak

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've noticed that the reception in my 2017 is much worse that it was in my 2007. My first instinct is the antenna, but I haven't had time to mess around with it and work on a solution.

Dusty_Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 and replaced my head unit and xm antenna and I still don't have crystal clear reception like I would expect. Almost like I am listening fm radio

Brianj53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
On a long trip yesterday, I found some stations in the lower 300 channels that I hadn’t discovered before, and the sound quality was friggin awesome. I’ve got the basic 5.0 uconnect system, and it sounded like I’d done a major stereo upgrade. Glad to have xm, but if they all sounded like that it would be fabulous.

Last edited:

brad325is

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2013 is intermittent as well. Back and forth to work it will drop service around the same area every day. Not sure if a new antenna would do the trick or not.

jkrausedc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7l V8
I contacted FCA about the Sirius radio problems and this was their reply.
I can certainly understand what you’re saying, however it’s not something we’ve been made aware of here at Customer Care. If you’re finding the information on forums, that information is likely not getting back to NHTSA or the manufacturer. If you go back to the forums, have people contact us as you have so we can collate data that could bring about some kind of fix.

It would be unlikely to be a recall as those are for emissions and safety matters and a Sirius module would not classify as either of those. Dealerships have the option of notifying their corporate resources too if the vehicle is diagnosed and they can’t determine the cause. They have significant technical resources they can call upon from the dealer if needed.

Stevo1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I recently bought a 2011 Ram with Sirius, and it is constantly going in and out. I know it isn't the area because i used Sirius in my previous car for several years and are very aware of the areas that i temporarily lose reception. Just starting to try to figure out the issue, ill post if/when i figure out the solution.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did some google searching on this a while back as I would lose reception with nothing visible that could be blocking signals. It looks like T-Mobile's network build out can cause interference with reception. I did not see anything that indicated they had worked out a solution, but it makes sense where my truck loses signal

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We all have the same problem. My 8.4 Nav radio was changed two times already But the stations still are messed up just tired of dealing with this with Ram. they will edge you along till your warranty is up then its your problem.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Common complaint with our trucks and Sat radio. Really annoying as it's all I've listened to for the past 10 years or so. Both a Buick and a Lincoln and never had any issues in the same areas I'm having with the Ram.

Options are if you have the puck antenna (non uConnect) swap to the Shark Fin - some reported better receptions, but others report no change, so its a roll of the dice really. I have a buddy with the Shark Fin and he says he never drops, but he listens to FM 95% of the time.

You could possibly try an aftermarket antenna with a Fakra adapter, but you'll need some sort of resistor setup I think as if the 8.4 doesn't see the oem antenna it shuts off sat... I think that was the deal. Search back there's some posts on it.

I may try the Shark Fin - it's cheap enough so not a major expense, but I think it's kind of a pain to swap them out.