*911 Wiring harness issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brobrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
*911* 02 Quad cab wiring harness emergency

Hey, trying to help my friend out with his gas burner. I'm a diesel head so that's were i spend my time on forums.

Here's the dilema. he has a 2002 quad cab 5.9 4x4 with auto tranny and auto transfer case. The front drive shaft is live all of the time and a stick caused the wiring harness to wrap around the shaft which quickly pulled all of harness loose from the firewall, transmission etc. etc. NASTY situation. The great gift in all of this is that it is a 2002 only wiring harness. I found a local truck that has manual transfer case.

QUESTIONS:
1) if anyone can point me to a harness it would be great
2) IF not, then would the harness for the manual setup have the wires that i could plug to the auto harness tucked away somewhere?
3)IF NOT for option two, what would it take to rig a switch (rocker or toggle) to engage the electric transfercase.

Forgive me, I'm working blind here. I have not laid eyes on either truck or the harnesses. Any help you might offer would be great.

MoparMagic'00

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
is this a old body style such as the 2001 or newer style like the 2003? 02 was the split year if the case is that it is the newer style you may get more help posting in the 3rd gen section.. I was unaware that any of the 2nd gens had an electric transfer case... could be wrong however as like i said 02 was the ******* year.

OP
OP
B

brobrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
is this a old body style such as the 2001 or newer style like the 2003? 02 was the split year if the case is that it is the newer style you may get more help posting in the 3rd gen section.. I was unaware that any of the 2nd gens had an electric transfer case... could be wrong however as like i said 02 was the ******* year.

It is the 03 style body. thanks

OP
OP
B

brobrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey, trying to help my friend out with his gas burner. I'm a diesel head so that's were i spend my time on forums.

Here's the dilema. he has a 2002 quad cab 5.9 4x4 with auto tranny and auto transfer case. The front drive shaft is live all of the time and a stick caused the wiring harness to wrap around the shaft which quickly pulled all of harness loose from the firewall, transmission etc. etc. NASTY situation. The great gift in all of this is that it is a 2002 only wiring harness. I found a local truck that has manual transfer case. It is the 03 body style, but an 03 harness will not work.

QUESTIONS:
1) if anyone can point me to a harness it would be great
2) IF not, then would the harness for the manual setup have the wires that i could plug to the auto harness tucked away somewhere?
3)IF NOT for option two, what would it take to rig a switch (rocker or toggle) to engage the electric transfercase.

Forgive me, I'm working blind here. I have not laid eyes on either truck or the harnesses. Any help you might offer would be great.

OP
OP
B

brobrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
bump

any direction at all appreciated

VPRPWRD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
8.3L Viper
Any pictures of the damage? Would give all of us a good idea what you're working with and what direction would be appropriate. Is the harness on the truck repairable? Or is it completely shredded.

This is purely speculation on my part but if I had destroyed an impossible to find harness, I would rewire it as long as the connectors were in good shape.

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
There are many salvage yards that offer delivery across the nation and they have sites that offer a good search engine. They can even be associated with one of your local salvage yards.

I would give them a call to see if they have an '02 lying around somewhere.

You will need a '02 harness and for the same engine type. A 4.7L harness would not do.

As to whether or not the Xcase can be tucked away among a standard Wiring harness I have no clue and would need to have a look at the service manual. There are extensive wiring diagrams available int he electrical section of the service manuals.

They can be found on this Forum in the DIY section and I have posted the '02 service manuals somewhere in the thread.

Good luck

OP
OP
B

brobrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are many salvage yards that offer delivery across the nation and they have sites that offer a good search engine. They can even be associated with one of your local salvage yards.

I would give them a call to see if they have an '02 lying around somewhere.

You will need a '02 harness and for the same engine type. A 4.7L harness would not do.

As to whether or not the Xcase can be tucked away among a standard Wiring harness I have no clue and would need to have a look at the service manual. There are extensive wiring diagrams available int he electrical section of the service manuals.

They can be found on this Forum in the DIY section and I have posted the '02 service manuals somewhere in the thread.

Good luck

Thanks,

I have not seen the harness personally. It may be fixable, but that's an unknown.. He spoke about it as if it was chewed up pretty badly. It's at a shop at the moment. I'll see if he can get some pics for me.

Salvage yards ALL over the US have been contacted and the one locally with the manual transfercase is the closest. As I posted up top, it is the new 03 style body with the 02 motor. It is a rare bird.

OP
OP
B

brobrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey ANY suggestions on where to look. He said the harness is completely destroyed and not rebuildable. Dude doesn't want to scrap truck because he's spent a great deal on it already.

JonBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 quadcab 1500
Engine
Run a search through car-part.com they are networked with tons of salvage yards. I ran a search and came up with several pages of results under wiring harness..... Just gotta sift through which harness, which options, etc then call to verify

OP
OP
B

brobrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
not so 911 now

Still on the hunt. I do have two part numbers that will work

56045973AD
56045973AB

Mopar stopped making them, but there's supposed to be a few stuck away somewhere. I'm not paying what they want for them. Looking for a used harness. I've found a few that have the last three numbers different, but that may be manual transfer case vs. auto. His/mine is a push button shift. Any help would be much appreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam