04 Dodge 1500 Wanting to get rid of Infinity System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EastonCastanon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all I'm new to this forum, so I may be saying something there is already a thread for. So with that being said I apologize in advance.

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi SLT.
It has a standard Infinity audio system in it that I really want to do away with.
I want to replace all the door speakers being the front doors and back with Rocksford Fosgate punch series. And add a sub box in the back under seat with two 10 inch Rocksford Fosgate Subwoofers. And want to add a pioneer double din touch screen deck. As far as the tweeters an all that come standered with the infinity audio system I have no interested in messing with those yet. So with this all being said I've done a little research an all I've come up with is it seems that dodge made it pretty difficult to add anything after market.

So how do I go about doing all the replacement speakers? I never like taking my truck to a shop unless it serious motor repair or stuff of that sort nothing for audio or interior.

Do I just need to get different plug switches or whatever the technical name is for the speakers? And how hard is it to bypass all the infinity crap?

Thanks for all you reading and help that y'all offer!

mrfyram1500

2024 1500 Laramie
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you buy from a site like Crutchfield's they may send the adapters for the speakers you buy. Then you don't need to cut and splice any wires. They are for sale separately as well. I bought some from Best Buy.

mrfyram1500

2024 1500 Laramie
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As far as bypassing the Infinity system, I've never done it. There have been posts on this site and others how to do it. You can find info on youtube how to remove your door panels and dash trim to replace your speakers. That I have done and it is not difficult. Never hooked up a sub.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The best way to bypass the infinity system is to get a 70-6510 amp bypass harness. Your factory amp is up high behind the glovebox and a ***** to get at. Unplug the harness going into the factory amp and plug the 70-6510 harness into it. Then run this to your aftermarket radio. This will bypass the factory amp completely. If you will be using a 4 channel amp, instead of running the 70-6510 harness to your radio, run it to the outputs on the 4 channel amp.

As far as the speakers, just go to best buy or an audio store and get 2 pairs of speaker harnesses for your truck. They plug right into the factory plug and they connect to your speakers so you don't have to cut or splice anything.

Fox acoustics makes nice sub boxes and they make a dual 10" box that goes under the back seats. I have the single 10" one. Amps fit under the front seats pretty well. I have my 4 channel under the passenger side and my sub amp under the driver side.

If you need any help let me know. I bypassed that whole infinity crap in my 08 and it was a huge pain in the ass, mostly because of the can-bus junk in the newer trucks. Luckily since yours is an 04 you don't have this and it should be a lot more straight forward.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

EastonCastanon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank y'all!

Justin so as far as replacing the head unit you only need the particular plug? You won't have to run any separate speaker cable to neither the speakers not the amp?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank y'all!

Justin so as far as replacing the head unit you only need the particular plug? You won't have to run any separate speaker cable to neither the speakers not the amp?

To do the radio you'll need the normal parts for the radio, harness, dash kit, and antenna adapter, and you'll need the 70-6510 to bypass the amp. The only wires you need to run are the 6510 harness to either the radio or the new amp depending on the setup you have. The harness is 20ft long so you'll have plenty.

OP
OP
E

EastonCastanon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did alitte more research on crutch field. And understand a lot more of what to expect. My one question still is even tho you bypass the amp using the 70-6510 harness. You still will only get bass out of the front door speakers, how are you able to get full speaker usage out of both the front an rear?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did alitte more research on crutch field. And understand a lot more of what to expect. My one question still is even tho you bypass the amp using the 70-6510 harness. You still will only get bass out of the front door speakers, how are you able to get full speaker usage out of both the front an rear?

If you replace the speakers you will get full range out of the doors if you bypass the amp. The amp is what does the crossover stuff. The factory door speakers are only woofers so if you replace them you will have full range.

OP
OP
E

EastonCastanon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you replace the speakers you will get full range out of the doors if you bypass the amp. The amp is what does the crossover stuff. The factory door speakers are only woofers so if you replace them you will have full range.

See that's what I was thinking, maybe I was reading it wrong.
Now if your bypassing the amp is it not pushing any power out of it with that harness, or will it still supply an output source to the speakers an give them alitte extra power?

OP
OP
E

EastonCastanon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I know it sounds like I'm asking the same questions, which I probably am..
But Im just trying to cover all my steps.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
See that's what I was thinking, maybe I was reading it wrong.
Now if your bypassing the amp is it not pushing any power out of it with that harness, or will it still supply an output source to the speakers an give them alitte extra power?

It completely bypasses the amp like it is no longer in the truck. All the power and control to the speakers will now be coming from your radio or your 4 channel, whichever way you go. The only reason people say bypassing the amp will still only get you lows from the doors, is because they're assuming you didn't replace the speakers. The factory infinity door speakers physically have nothing to produce highs so even though they're getting full range with the amp bypassed, they still only make lows. Since you're replacing the speakers you don't have to worry about this.

OP
OP
E

EastonCastanon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It completely bypasses the amp like it is no longer in the truck. All the power and control to the speakers will now be coming from your radio or your 4 channel, whichever way you go. The only reason people say bypassing the amp will still only get you lows from the doors, is because they're assuming you didn't replace the speakers. The factory infinity door speakers physically have nothing to produce highs so even though they're getting full range with the amp bypassed, they still only make lows. Since you're replacing the speakers you don't have to worry about this.

Gotcha, thank ya sir.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963