04 dodge ram 1500 quad radio question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2004 ram quad 4.7 80k miles got some minor electrical problems.

I have the RAZ radio and I do have the wiring for the radio but I need to know what wire if so is for the memory to keep the time and stations.

Is there a separate wire or is it the main power wire that powers the radio and also keeps the clock correct time?

attached it the plug for the radio but does not tell me anything about the info I need.

thanks

Attachments

• radio plug.JPG
    radio plug.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im looking for just the memory wire that just keeps the memory for clock and stations. I guess I will have to pull the radio and check the plug when the truck is shut off and wait for the computer to shut down to see what wire still has power. I would then think the one with power will be the memory wire.

thanks for the info

If anyone knows for sure which wire it is that would be helpful

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The constant battery wire is the memory wire. It is constant 12v. There isn't a seperate "memory" wire.

Should be gray with a red tracer.

OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the gray/red wire is powered all the time then the radio would be able to be on with no key turned on. Am I correct or not. I see pin 11 and 22 and would think that one is for the memory with power all the time. And the main power to the radio would shut off when truck is shut down.

I guess I will have to put a meter on the plug to what wire does what. See if one keeps power up and one shuts off no volts,

thanks for the help

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the gray/red wire is powered all the time then the radio would be able to be on with no key turned on. Am I correct or not. I see pin 11 and 22 and would think that one is for the memory with power all the time. And the main power to the radio would shut off when truck is shut down.

I guess I will have to put a meter on the plug to what wire does what. See if one keeps power up and one shuts off no volts,

thanks for the help

No.

The constant or "Batt" wire is used as the power feed when the radio is turned on, and then as the memory when the radio is turned off. It has constant battery power and this is what saves your settings and all that. There is another wire that gets 12v in the accessory and ignition positions that is basically the trigger to turn the radio on and off. This is pin 12 in the picture you posted. When this wire gets voltage, the radio turns on. When this wire loses voltage, the radio turns off. But that constant wire (pin 11 and 22) keeps battery voltage all the time, all day every day, regardless of key position or anything else. They are constant power.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dss56

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I forgot I had a spare raz radio in the basement so I went down and did some probing.
Hooked up the radio and pin 22 it the memory wire. and pin 11 and 12 are the switched power to the radio. so I powered the 11 and 12 and radio works with 22 powered also.
I set the time and waited a few minutes and took pins 11 and 12 of power radio shut off. waited about 5 minutes and re powered pins 11 and 12 and radio powered up with correct time and stations.

So 1 wire does not feed the radio and memory if that was so the radio would stay on all the time. So pin 22 is the memory wire when the radio is shut off.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
1 wire absolutely does feed the radio and provide the memory for the radio. I am an MECP certified installer and this is a very simple setup that pretty much every vehicle on the road uses, at least before the data controlled radios showed up. If there are 2 BATT wires coming to the radio, as the photo above suggests, this is simply to provide sufficient power to the radio. BATT and MEMORY are the same thing. It is just one wire that has battery voltage at all times.

The BATT wire has battery voltage all the time. This wire literally comes from the battery, to the fuse box, and then to the radio. This provides the memory to the radio, and the power supply when the radio is turned on. There is no way to switch this on or off. It is straight battery voltage.

The ACC wire is the switched wire that turns the radio on or off when you turn your key on or off. This is basically a TRIGGER wire. When the radio sees 12 volts on this wire, an internal relay trips and turns the radio on. It is now pulling power directly from the BATT wire in order to run the radio. When you turn your key off, it loses voltage on the ACC wire and the internal relay stops pulling power from the BATT wire to power the radio, but obviously the BATT wire still has 12v. This is what provides the radio's memory. This is also why, usually the ACC wire is a thinner gauge wire than the BATT wire. Because it doesn't carry any amperage, the BATT wire does.

I believe you are over thinking this. MEMORY is a wire that would be 12 volts at all times. BATT is a wire that is 12 volts at all times. And the BATT wire is the one that actually powers the radio. The ACC wire is a trigger, that's it. It does not power the radio. BATT does.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amdwilsns01