04 Ram, Help me choose between Hid and LED Headlight/Fog kit.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 SLT Quad Cab Short Bed
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, I am pretty sure I am going to go with either LED or a Hid kit for both Head and Fog lights. I am looking at kits I think in the 4 to 6 K range with both Hi and Low beam. These are some listings I am thinking about but I am open to other brand and Kit suggestions.

Pro's and Con's Please.
Any Modifications needed?
I am looking for low maint long life kit.

Thank you

Led
LED 80W 8000LM Headlight Kit 6000K White 9004 9005 9006 9007 H4 H7 H10 H11 H13 | eBay

Hid Head
OPT7 AC Canbus HID Kit 880 9005 9006 H1 H4 H7 H10 H11 H13 5202 6000K 5000K Xenon | eBay

Hid Fog
OPT7 AC 25W HID Fog Light Kit Relay H1 H3 9006 9005 H7 H10 H11 5202 880 Xenon | eBay

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried the Super bright LED, what I noticed was the they lit everything up nice while sitting still or going down a back country road slow, On a main road you are easily able to out drive the lights they lit up in front of the truck fine but not very far and they have a lot wider beam. The High beam seems to do nothing but shut the fog lights down so Low Beam works better.

The Fog lights work well and the color of both I like.

I am not very happy with them as far being able to see well and I do feel they are unsafe. There are 2 Led one on each side so that may be the issue with this style lite not giving light off 360 degrees.

I just bought these headlights and going to give them a shot with these housings but not expecting anything different.

Spyder® HD-JH-DR02-AM-BSM (9030352) - Dodge Ram 1500 / 2500 / 3500 2004 Black/Smoke Euro Headlights with Amber Reflectors

I also just bought this HID kit which Ill try its Hid for Lo and Hi beam, 35 W 6000K Color

Boltzen AC CANBUS Series: 35w HID Kit - OPT7

And these 2 add ons not sure if I need them but just encase

Anti-Flicker Wire Relay Harness for HID Kit - OPT7

HID Kit Capacitors Warning Light Cancellors (Pair) - OPT7

I can say the Led kit was pretty easy to hook up, the Hid kit seems to have more to it.

The LED Kit gave me no issues as far as light out indicator or flicker.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, So this is where I am at First off it sucks not having phone support.

So I hooked everything up for a dry run nothing run or mounted just lying on top of motor, I had gotten low beams on but no high beam and I also had the lamp out issue, I swapped the power wire between the lo and the high in the connector and I then had hi but no lo, so I put it all back to stock.

I was getting really frustrated at this point so I remembered I had two of these from the LED Install

https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...istor-kit-9007-led-headlight-bulbs/2176/5076/

I plugged the Drivers side truck harness into one end and the Hid harness into the other, and I got Hi and Lo beam but still had lamp out light so I plugged the Passenger side vehicle harness into the 2nd Cap and left the 2 nd cap Output unplugged as I had nothing to plug it into and everything worked, no Lamp out and Hi and Lo both work. I ran out of time so Tomorrow I will run all the wires and see how I like them at night.

Anyone see any issues with the set up so far?

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have everything mounted and all seems to be working well, I got rid of these

HID Kit Capacitors Warning Light Cancellors (Pair) - OPT7

as I have read that they are not need nor are they good for my year truck do to the high current draw, I noticed no difference with them in or out and them by themselves with out the Resistors still gave me the dash light and I had no high beam .I just used these

https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...lbs/2176/5076/

I have not taken them out yet and may not get to tonight as it is raining, I notice against the garage door Low beam seems a bit more scattered and the High beam seems more focused is this normal? I am only about 4-5 ft away.

Resistors are the Key to making these work I believe not sure why they are not included in the kits.

One thing I did notice is if I shut the truck off with the lights on If I try and turn the lights off then they will sometimes stay on, I have to turn the headlight switch back on then off.

Ceri

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The beam pattern is due to the reflector bowls. The high beam doesn't change the light output at all. It merely sucks the high beam in physically closer to the little bulb cover and tightens the focal point to face it further upward. It redirects the light higher, and changes the reflection.

The lights staying on is factory behavior. Its so you can walk to your door with light after you exit. If you don't want it to do that, just turn the lights off before you shut down the engine. No issues with your install on that one.

They don't include the resistors by defaukt because that part is shared across multiple vehicles and not all of them require the resistors. Rams do, but others don't. It's a necessary option for the Rams.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took the truck out last night and I got the Lights adjusted pretty close I think, The kit seems to work well, They are brighter then the LED's by far but I am not sure how much better then Stock they are but I also have them in tinted aftermarket housings. Hi Beam function works but is a lot more scattered then lo beam which I don't think is that scattered at all.

Next time I will go with a better kit and someone who offer real tech support, Not sure if the 55 W kit would have been better or not.

One thing I am not sure of is when O n High beam what position should the bulb be in, Pushed out toward the front of the head lamp or pulled back in to the base of the bulb.

All in all I am happy with the kit.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The opt7 led headlight bulbs are really nice. Comes with the resistors and everything and are canbus compatible for the newer trucks. You just plug em in and go. Really bright, good beam pattern, and really good quality bulbs. I don't have them in my truck but I installed 2 sets in friends cars. Personally I'll never go back to hids.

OP
OP
J

Joe.G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
OPT7 dont make 9007 bulbs in led not that I would try them anyway, LED in my truck was a no go.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, the leds you tried may have been a no go. But this can be just an issue with the set that you used. It's not an inherent problem with LED headlights. But since they don't make the Opt7 lights in 9007 like you said, it's not even an option that can be tried.

And don't do 55watt hids. They're stupid bright and you will get flashed by every single car you drive towards no matter where you aim them. Trust me.