2003 Ram 1500 confused blinker

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
The blinkers on my '03 1500 are confused, either don't work at all or blink left when I want to turn right.
The even switch in between while standing at a stop sign/light. It annoys the c**p out of me and probably also annoys everyone behind and right next to me.

Can't find anything in the manual, no rely no nothing.

Does anyone has a clue or is the only cure to replace the switch?

Thank you all in advance, I appreciate it :)

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It could be the switch but it could also be faulty wiring in the steering column.

Pull the covers off and validate that there are no exposed wires or grounds anywhere that could enable the current to flow from 1 wire to the other. You can also take the opportunity to run some contact cleaner in the switch to see if cleaner contacts would behave better. Re-lubricate the turn signal control switch with dielectric grease after cleaning or you could end up with a hard to operate switch.

Have you actually validate that the outside turn signals follow the same pattern as the interior markers? The reason I'm asking is that the instrument panels on our trucks are notorious for having their printed circuit crack and break(as they are made with flexible plastic that gets brittle with time), leaving you with misleading indications if any at all.

The circuit pathways on the instrument cluster can be redone with some patience and rear defrost repair fluid. In some cases you can actually solder jump wires to bypass a break if you are comfortable with soldering of electrical/electronic components.

Good luck with that one.

OP
OP
JJEH

JJEH

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Good luck with that one.

Thank you for your advice.

I did check the cables and all looked good. The next day the "lamp out" light came on. Turns out it was the brake light and after replacing the bulb it was fine. The blinker issue is gone ever since. Gotta love how electronics work sometimes...