2005 viper remote start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Robert Leon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guess I'm looking at installing a viper remote start on my 05. Any suggestions? What to look for and what not to get? Any feed back would help a lot. It's getting cold here in Wyoming and a remote start would help me warm up my truck in the early am. Thanks in advance

2005 Dodge Ram 1500 2wd
5.7 Liter Hemi
4.5 Maxtrac spindle lift
315/70/17 **** Cepek
17" Method Double standards
K&N cold air intake
New Remanufactured 5.7L Hemi
Rebuilt 4.56 rear all American Chrysler bearings and gearing.
Fox Performance 2.0 shocks

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a viper remote with remote start (on my 5spd 4.7 4wd). I also had one on my wifes civic. I can tell you their remotes suck, they go defective very quickly. The sliver thin ones (they are discontinued now) are pure crap, the back battery cover would just break off. The replacement black remotes resolved the battery door issues, and are much better, but they also break. My current 2 way black remote does not get input from the truck, so it chimes saying it is out of range (I opened it up and took the speaker out of it).

Perhaps the more expensive digital screen remotes are better, but I haven't had good luck with the 1/2 mile range remotes...

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a viper 5704v on my Toyota for 4 years. I never had to replace either of the remotes. Like anything else, the amount of abuse they see will determine their lifetime. Not saying that you intentionally "abused" them, but there are so many variables with what people do with their keys that one person might tear up remotes constantly, while someone else may never have an issue. One of mine was the digital one and seemed very solid. Being rechargeable was also pretty nice.

As far as the remote start, you'll have to figure out what options you want. Just remote start? Remote start with keyless entry? Remote start with keyless entry and alarm? Do you want the smart start option that lets you use your phone to lock/unlock/start the vehicle? Once you figure out exactly what you want it to do then we can narrow it down.

Last edited: