Ac condenser fan problem!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pantherCat9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2005 ram 1500 5.7 liter. The ac condenser fan relay has power to it the second I turn on the engine regardless of whether the compressor is running. I think the relay is only supposed to be activated once the compressor is running??

Anyway what's really messed up is the fan doesn't run ever. There is no power to the fan until I pull the relay out and put it back in I have replaced the relay and the pressure switch so far before testing with the multimeter and finding out that something is really wrong here. What's happening here?

Is the relay supposed to be sending power directly to the fan or does it go somewhere else?

Is the ac high pressure switch supposed to activate this relay?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The relay will have ignition power to it as the power feed. This is where the power to the fan will draw from when the relay is activated (pin 30). You probably probed this wire. There will be another wire showing 12v on one of the coil terminals of the relay (pin 85). There will be another wire to the relay that will actually activate the relay. This is what will switch the fan on and off. This is a ground controlled from the PCM (pin 86). Basically, on the relay, pin 86 will be a ground only when the relay is activated, pin 85 will show 12v with ignition on, pin 30 will show 12v with ignition on, and pin 87 will be power out to the fan when the relay is activated. If there is a 5th pin it will not be used.

Have you checked for power at the fan plug yet? If you have power there, then your fan motor is bad. If you don't have power there, but you do at pins 85, 87, and 30 at the relay, there may be a short or break between the fan relay and the fan plug. If you don't have power at pins 30 and 85 at the relay, check fuse 12. If you don't see a ground at pin 86 while the Ac is on, there may be an issue with the PCM.

Last edited: