Added a rear view camera to my ram finally

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So last September, I became a happy Ram owner. First mod I did was install a 7" Pioneer touch screen. Well it had a little feature "rear view camera". Over the past 6 months, I sorta looked into getting one. And finally did. I bought this one off ebay, again after looking for months, I found the one I wanted, and pay only $20 for it.

Photos below for proof and ****.

img0500w.jpg

For $20, the quality is outstanding, however I don't really like how it mounts, Ill discuss this later.

img0501gb.jpg

Off comes the dash again, beholds my touchscreen.

img0504z.jpg

I came up with this idea of drilling out the screws for the headunit, so you HAVE to use a rachet to undo the screws, make it hard for someone to steal. I know it may look like you could use a screw driver, but you can't.

img0511k.jpg

Had to drill a bigger hole so I could fit all my wires including the new ones.

img0514e.jpg

As for the mount, I don't really like it, it looks tacky and ugly out back. I am thinking of hiding it somewhere by the hitch.

img0520ze.jpg

Other then that, I love the camera, quality is outstanding!

Photo is taken with my tailgate down.

img0519dy.jpg

Just wanted to share, thought it was cool.

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats awesome man! I had a back up camera in my old truck but haven't got one yet for this one. I want to mount the camera in the tailgate handle so you can see the bumper a little while you back up.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
looks good. i love having one in mine.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thats awesome man! I had a back up camera in my old truck but haven't got one yet for this one. I want to mount the camera in the tailgate handle so you can see the bumper a little while you back up.

Oh wow, that's a very bad ass idea! I love that view, that you describe. I wish I could incorporate that into my 3rd gen...

EDIT: After using mine more and more, i pointed it downward from pictured above so I could get that sort of angle that you would get from the tailgate.

Last edited:

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
sweet. my tahoe has one i never look at. i cant get used to it.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
our van has one........I hate it.

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
lol, nah - its a ****** quality cam.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
lol, nah - its a ****** quality cam.

That's what took me soo long to actually buy one.

There are some on the market for 60-80 that have the exact quality mine has. Some are just crappy for the price. You really gota look around, best place is ebay.

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
you got links for this???
i just got a hu with a backup camera option

shadow11 take pics i want to do the same :)

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
My dads tundra has one and I like it, pops up in your rearview mirror and shows your bumper for hooking up his trailor. Its really slick

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They're great for seeing stuff like this at night-

cam3.jpg

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
i have that same one. only use it to back up to trailers. you can point it right at the hitch and back up onto trailers with only one person. pretty sweet.

word of advice -- dont hit that camera with a pressure washer. nothing stronger than a light hose mist actually. its only water resistant, not weather proof. what do you expect for $20 though

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They're great for seeing stuff like this at night-

cam3.jpg

Do you have the factory one? Looks like the night vision and lights are a bit too bright. My night vision looks a tad better, may be just this photo.

For those wondering where I got my cam, pm me unless its with the rules here to post such.

i have that same one. only use it to back up to trailers. you can point it right at the hitch and back up onto trailers with only one person. pretty sweet.

word of advice -- dont hit that camera with a pressure washer. nothing stronger than a light hose mist actually. its only water resistant, not weather proof. what do you expect for $20 though

Technically there is a difference between water proof and water resistant, I think. ;p

Mine is water proof. Water resistant is referring to the entry of water. Therefore, I would assume mine is like its marketed "water proof".

Last edited:

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You have experience with lots of backup cameras to know which ones are properly exposed? I don't have any idea how to adjust it.

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
yo broski, I know what its advertised as. I also know the difference between waterproof and water resistant. I'm tellin ya... its NOT water proof. Hit that sucker with a pressure washer once or twice while washing the truck and you'll figure it out the hard way (not like $20 loss is "the hard way" but still).

just givin you a heads up its good quality until you try to wash it.