Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums > Dodge Ram Generations Forum > 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 > Audio & Electronics

Audio & Electronics

Aftermarket Bluetooth On Stock Head Unit...Bad Idea?

This is a discussion on Aftermarket Bluetooth On Stock Head Unit...Bad Idea? within the Audio & Electronics forums, part of the 3rd Gen : 2002 - 2008 category!
Hey Guys, Just looking for a little input and advice here. Picked up an 03 with a single cd player ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By JPT
  • 1 Post By justin13703

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2016, 12:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2003
Engine: 4.7
Default Aftermarket Bluetooth On Stock Head Unit...Bad Idea?
Hey Guys,

Just looking for a little input and advice here.

Picked up an 03 with a single cd player (no changer) and am thinking about adding an aux input and wiring up a dedicated usb power supply to be able to use this or similar Bluetooth system linked below with the OEM head unit.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ETTR0XMWXYK8H7

Primary goal is clear phone calls, secondary is easy, clean way to stream audio from my phone. I also like to keep things pretty stock looking. And If I did go this route, I would hide all the wiring, and connectors up under the dash.

My truck is my office lots of times, and I'm on the road and phone quite a bit for my job. The past several years I've driven newer vehicles with pretty good hands free/bluetooth systems and when they work well, they are great.

Couple questions for you guys...

Does this setup make sense?
Or would I be better off getting a new head unit with built in mic, etc.?
Do you have one that you would recommend for good phone audio quality?

If I go with adding the aux in to the OEM head unit, can you guys give me any advice as to what I should get? And/or a good tutorial? I've found some stuff searching the interwebs...but most of what I found talk about adding the aux to systems with a CD changer included. Any advice as to how to make this work well would be appreciated.

Thanks and a pic of the head unit is included for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
img_3993.jpg  

Sponsored Ad
Register to remove this ad.
RossC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #2 (permalink)
JPT

Engine: 4.7 V8
Do it once, do it right.

I replaced my unit (was a cassette unit) in my 2003 with a Pioneer NEX-4100 with Apple Carplay. These units work with Apple or Android, use the GPS from the phone and give you most of the useful features of newer cars. All while charging your phone.

I did have to get a kit to fit the Double DIN:
Metra 95-6522B Dash Kit Fits select 2002-05 Dodge Ram trucks — double-DIN radios at Crutchfield.com

I bought that kit on Amazon, and brought it to my local car installer (PC Richards). With that, they had everything they needed.

Then next model is out now:
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX DVD receiver at Crutchfield.com

They did have to tweak it to fit right, since the screen on my unit is removeable:
RossC likes this.

Last edited by JPT; 11-01-2016 at 12:44 PM.
JPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

I appreciate the input and info. Very nice of you to send that over.

That is a good clean setup.

And some amazon reviews for this and similar say good phone call quality...

Seems like about $650 if I install myself. Maybe this is the way to go? But it is about $600 more that I thought I would be spending going the other route.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
JPT

Originally Posted by RossC View Post
I appreciate the input and info. Very nice of you to send that over.

That is a good clean setup.

And some amazon reviews for this and similar say good phone call quality...

Seems like about $650 if I install myself. Maybe this is the way to go? But it is about $600 more that I thought I would be spending going the other route.
You really do get $600 more benefit. For example a 7" GPS Screen that you never have to pay for traffic, or maps updates. You get, to use voice activation (siri for apple), and WAY better audio quality than a stock head unit.

If your truck is your office, be sure to keep the receipts and use it as a tax deduction.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ram Year: 2008
Engine: Hemi 5.7
I would strongly recommend not adding Bluetooth and aux to your factory radio. The audio quality with most of those things is garbage.

On the other hand, you don't need to go as far as a $600+ radio to get what you want. I have one, and yes they are nice, but if all you want is a CD player with Bluetooth and aux, you can get radios these days with all that for under 100 dollars.
RossC likes this.
justin13703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
JPT

Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
I would strongly recommend not adding Bluetooth and aux to your factory radio. The audio quality with most of those things is garbage.
True!

Originally Posted by justin13703 View Post
On the other hand, you don't need to go as far as a $600+ radio to get what you want. I have one, and yes they are nice, but if all you want is a CD player with Bluetooth and aux, you can get radios these days with all that for under 100 dollars.
Also True! If you can afford it, these radios are nice. If not, there are other options.

I actually got my NEX installed for $499 (PC Richards with free install) + $25 for the kit on Amazon. So for me, it really wasn't $600+

Amazon 4100 new:
https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH-4...words=NEX+4100

Last edited by JPT; 11-01-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-02-2016, 03:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the input guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk