Aftermarket Radio installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim1974

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v6
I have a 07 Dodge ram and I want to install a new pioneer radio . I was told that I would have to buy a $120 wiring harness for it to work. I would like to know if this is the case before I attempt to wire it direct and not mess anything up . I was told it would not pass inspection if I didn't install the $120 harness can I wire the stero direct without a harness and if so do I have to go in behind the steering colum to do so

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I don't know about passing inspection but it is true you need an aftermarket harness (from Metra or PacAudio) for the unit to work with the Dodge canbus system.

And if you have steering wheel controls, you'll doubly need the harness as they won't work otherwise.

What head unit are you going after? What head unit do you have now?

I did a swap in my '07 MegaCab and totally needed the harness for the head unit and steering wheel controls to work in that truck.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 07 Dodge ram and I want to install a new pioneer radio . I was told that I would have to buy a $120 wiring harness for it to work. I would like to know if this is the case before I attempt to wire it direct and not mess anything up . I was told it would not pass inspection if I didn't install the $120 harness can I wire the stero direct without a harness and if so do I have to go in behind the steering colum to do so

I've never heard of a radio causing issues with an inspection. That's a little crazy in my opinion if it is true though. As far as the harness, to do it the right way yes you need a harness that is over 100 dollars. Especially if you have the infinity sound system, that harness is 100% required because it turns on the factory amp through the can bus system.

You can get the cheapo 10 dollar harness and grab power from the cig lighter or ignition harness, but then you'll lose stuff like the RAP function and I'm sure other things. I'm not exactly sure what all will be affected since I've never done this, because I always live by the saying, if it's worth doing it's worth doing right. Also, most of the harnesses don't include a steering wheel control interface. Most are prewired for one, but you still need to get the interface seperately.

Last edited:

Cummin2fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So speaking of this PAC harness and powering the factory AMP... what if youre not going to use the factory amp? I bought all new aftermarket audio stuff to put in my truck and it seems to me I don't need to use this PAC harness if I'm not using the amp. I have aftermarket stereo, amp, speakers, etc... Someone explain to me please, im a bit of an ruhtard...

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So speaking of this PAC harness and powering the factory AMP... what if youre not going to use the factory amp? I bought all new aftermarket audio stuff to put in my truck and it seems to me I don't need to use this PAC harness if I'm not using the amp. I have aftermarket stereo, amp, speakers, etc... Someone explain to me please, im a bit of an ruhtard...

If you're not using the factory amp then you need to get the amp bypass harness or re wire all the speakers directly from the speaker to your new amp. theres no reason to run new wire though. That is a huge pain in the ass. Use the amp bypass harness. You will still need a harness for your radio. Even if you're not using the factory amp, the expensive harnesses will keep your RAP function, and provide e brake, vehicle speed, and reverse signal wires right there at your radio. So if you are using a double din all your connections will be right there. I bypassed my factory infinity amp, and still used the expensive harness just for that. I hate running and tapping wires all over the damn place. Much cleaner with that harness.

Last edited:

Cummin2fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I don't mind running new speaker wire. I bought bigger wire for the job. Gives me something to do on sunday.... But from what I'm gathering, I can install the new stereo with the harness provided for that stereo, and run the speaker wire from the speaker, to the amp, and amp to stereo via RCA cables etc...?

Cummin2fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Actually I should probably just find someone from work to come over and give me a hand.... I'm a super newb at car audio...

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Don't run new wire to your speakers. Trust me. It's not worth is unless you are running over like 150 watts rms per channel. Speakers run on AC voltage. On Ac voltage, stock speaker wire can handle a huge amount of power. You will see no gain from doing it, it will just cause a lot of frustration and spent time for really no reason.

Basically, it will go like this:

Wire harness for your truck (you have to purchase this) to the wire harness for your radio.

Rca's from radio to new amp.

Plug the amp bypass harness into the plugs that used to plug into the factory amp.

Run the speaker wires from this bypass harness to the outputs on your new amp.

Done.

Cummin2fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ill be honest... that only made about half sense. But I pulled out my factory radio yesterday, started looking at the harness in the truck, the harness I have to plug into my new radio and the harness I have that connects them together. I read over both of the install manuals and I think I might have it. It's actually color coordinated since its all made to go together. Then just hooking up the "blue" wire for my amp power, and a couple other odd ball wires called out in the manual. Only issue is I'm not sure if this will take my amp out of the loop.........
Whats the "amp bypass" harness you speak of?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ill be honest... that only made about half sense. But I pulled out my factory radio yesterday, started looking at the harness in the truck, the harness I have to plug into my new radio and the harness I have that connects them together. I read over both of the install manuals and I think I might have it. It's actually color coordinated since its all made to go together. Then just hooking up the "blue" wire for my amp power, and a couple other odd ball wires called out in the manual. Only issue is I'm not sure if this will take my amp out of the loop.........
Whats the "amp bypass" harness you speak of?

Your truck has the factory infinity system right? And you're trying to put in an aftermarket 4 channel amp? That's what I gathered from your posts so far.

If so, you need to do what I posted above. Install new radio, run rca's from new radio to new amp, unplug factory amp and plug in amp bypass harness to those plugs, run speaker leads of amp bypass harness to the speaker outputs on your amp.

The amp bypass harness is like 20 feet long. It lets you plug into what was the factory amp outputs and run it instead to an aftermarket radio or amp.

Last edited:

prican2000

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7
Your truck has the factory infinity system right? And you're trying to put in an aftermarket 4 channel amp? That's what I gathered from your posts so far.

If so, you need to do what I posted above. Install new radio, run rca's from new radio to new amp, unplug factory amp and plug in amp bypass harness to those plugs, run speaker leads of amp bypass harness to the speaker outputs on your amp.

The amp bypass harness is like 20 feet long. It lets you plug into what was the factory amp outputs and run it instead to an aftermarket radio or amp.

Good Luck with that - when I wired in my Aftermarket Nav system and bypassed the OEM AMP it was a MUDDAFV#K$!!!! Specifically because of the location of the OEM AMP - Behind and over the glovebox and I did not want to remove the whole dash just to get to it. But it can be done with a lot of patience and small hands. LOL

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good Luck with that - when I wired in my Aftermarket Nav system and bypassed the OEM AMP it was a MUDDAFV#K$!!!! Specifically because of the location of the OEM AMP - Behind and over the glovebox and I did not want to remove the whole dash just to get to it. But it can be done with a lot of patience and small hands. LOL

I did it on mine. Yes the factory amp is in a stupid location but it really wasn't hard for me to get to. Especially when compared to running all new wiring for all 7 speakers. Took me all of 3 minutes to get to the factory amp, unplug it, and plug in the bypass harness.

Now if you don't give a **** about what it looks like and are fine just throwing wiring in there and running them outside of the door boots etc...then run new wire. However if you want it to be a clean, reliable, easier install, then just throw out a curse word or two and get to the factory amp. It's basically the lesser of two evils.

Last edited:

Cummin2fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yes that's what I'm attempting to accomplish. Your path definitely sounds like it would work, and it basically sounds like the way I feel it should work since I'm not using anything factory in the truck, except speakers wire apparently, but its nothing like the ways if been told to do it..... I'll look for the amp by-pass harness. Any idea what I should be looking for? Just wanna make sure I get the right stuff.

Cummin2fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So I'm assuming you plugged the bypass harness into the harness that you UN-plugged from the amp. Where does the other end of the bypass go?

Cummin2fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Never mind. Re-read your other post. So it plugs into the harness that USED to be in the factory amp, then there are other wires coming off of it that go to speaker leads from the radio?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm assuming you plugged the bypass harness into the harness that you UN-plugged from the amp. Where does the other end of the bypass go?

Yes that's right, the other end of the bypass harness will run to the speaker outputs of your amp

Cummin2fast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Ok. and the harness coming out of the new radio? what about those speaker leads? I'm super ignorant at this car audio wiring stuff. once I grasp the concept, install will be a breeze.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok. and the harness coming out of the new radio? what about those speaker leads? I'm super ignorant at this car audio wiring stuff. once I grasp the concept, install will be a breeze.

The speaker leads from the radio won't be going to anything. Neither will the speaker leads on the radio harness you buy. Audio signal goes from your radio to your new amp via the rca's. Then comes out of your amp, into the speaker leads of the amp bypass harness which gets plugged in to the plugs that used to be in your factory amp. Then goes to your speakers.

Ram'em

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi "inside"
I don't mean to hijack this thread but can someone tell me what I need. I'm planning on getting a double din navigation and keep the factory speakers(4 speaker system). Not upgrading anything else at this time I mainly want in dash navigation. What wiring harness will I need? I looked on crutchfield and the harness they show is maybe $30. Thanks

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I don't mean to hijack this thread but can someone tell me what I need. I'm planning on getting a double din navigation and keep the factory speakers(4 speaker system). Not upgrading anything else at this time I mainly want in dash navigation. What wiring harness will I need? I looked on crutchfield and the harness they show is maybe $30. Thanks
The wiring harness adapter you need is the one to connect with the head unit you choose. If the new HU uses a proprietary connection, you'll have to get the specific complete harness or make one by getting something like a Scosche Chrysler pigtail and cutting/soldering the new HU ends.

If the HU uses an ISO connector, there is a Chrysler-ISO adapter. I don't recall Crutchfield nor installer.com had them when I was looking for one. I found one on eBay from UK; about $20.00 delivered.

I guess with a four-speaker system you probably have something like a Chrysler RBK. If that's the case, you'll need a different bezel for double-DIN and antenna adapter.

I have a thread in this sub-forum that will give you an idea of what you'd need and experience, although for a 2005. You really should consider speakers to get more out of a new HU. You'll see a comparison of some mid-level Kickers to factory speakers in the thread, also. They are noticeably better, reasonably priced and quite easy to replace.