Aftermarket stereo factory amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Installed the stereo in the fall and worked great. Now on a very intermittent basis it quits for a few minutes then starts working again. Any idea where to start looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
No pun intended but it sounds as if it is going into protection.

There are a few causes of this:

1. Overheating - Make sure you have some airspace around the amplifier.

2. Loose ground - Check the ground and power connections at all points.

3. Loose fuse - Check to make sure you fuse, if the unit has one, is fully seated.

Good luck!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does your truck have the single infinity amp, or the 2 on the front speakers? Either way I doubt the factory amp(s) have any kind of protection mode for overheating so it may be your radio.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The title references an aftermarket amp. It also says "factory". What amp did you install?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The title references an aftermarket amp. It also says "factory". What amp did you install?

It says aftermarket stereo factory amp so I'm assuming he replaced his factory radio and left the factory amp there

OP
OP
Chris E

Chris E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to be clear kenwood aftermarket stereo with infinity oem amp. It is sporadic when it happens took about an hour before it started today then seemed to be every few minutes after. I'm thinking a loose ground but am also wondering about bypassing the amp completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just to be clear kenwood aftermarket stereo with infinity oem amp. It is sporadic when it happens took about an hour before it started today then seemed to be every few minutes after. I'm thinking a loose ground but am also wondering about bypassing the amp completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Probably just the amp going out. Bypassing it will be your best option.

OP
OP
Chris E

Chris E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm wondering about the amp. My back speakers aren't working either but I assumed it was probably broken wires in the door. Could be related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk