Aftermarket stereo issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

leeroyAWD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all

I have a issue with installing a aftermarket head unit. was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction.

My truck is a 2004 hemi with the infinity sound system , id like to keep with the stock amplifier if possible. but use an aftermarket unit.

ive purchased the Double Din bezel surround and also bought the leads for the conversion. however something isint right.

I was sold a CTSCH00C Harness with the Can-bus and a patch cable CT MULTILEAD2 the company I purchased this from assures me this is the right leads for my truck.

when this is connected and the trucks in accessory mode I get no display but the unit has power and ejects cd's. its also the same when key is removed from the truck. ive read online that you need to attached the blue/white lead to the amp power on lead. I don't really want to blow anything up

can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

TIA

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If the unit gets power the display should come on. I would pull the radio out, connect the black wire to the battery negative, twist the yellow and red wires together and connect them to the positive. If the display doesn’t come on, you’ve got a bad radio. If the display does come on, then chances are you are getting 12v constant to the radio on the yellow wire when it was installed, but no 12v accessory on the red wire. Sometimes if they have 12v constant they will let you eject cds and that kind of stuff. But with no 12v signal on the red wire they will not turn on.

What kind of radio is it? Also in general on amplified systems the blue/white wire always gets connected. This is the amp turn on wire. As far as what all it gets connected to, if it was a metra or pac harness I could tell you. I looked up those harnesses and I’ve never even heard of them before so you’ll have to check the diagram. There should be at least one blue wire in that harness that the blue/white goes to.

Last edited:

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Turn your key on and test the red wire coming from that harness you bought with a multimeter. It should have 12-15v. I’m betting that harness isn’t working correctly or isn’t right for your truck and you aren’t getting voltage there. That is the wire that will tell your radio to turn on.

Actually now that I look at it, that harness may need you to run that red wire to your own power source. I can’t tell from the picture and like I said I’ve never seen that harness before

Last edited:

Frank Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
There is a seperate wire for illumination that will light up the display, clock, etc, any time the key is turned on.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is a seperate wire for illumination that will light up the display, clock, etc, any time the key is turned on.

Illumination doesn’t light up the display on any aftermarket radio. What the illumination wire does is gets 12v when the headlights are turned on, which will make the display dim down for night time. If it isn’t hooked up the display and everything will just stay at full brightness all the time. The illumination wire color is orange.

The wire that turns the radio on when the key is turned on, is the red accessory wire. Which is the one that I’m betting is not hooked up correctly in his situation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

leeroyAWD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok update

So after returning various harness's which didn't work, someone I know ordered what I need for everything to work alongside the factory amp and retain my steering controls. ive also checked crutchfields site and used the selector to find the parts for my truck.

Still doesn't work £150 wasted again. unless I'm installing it wrong its very plug and play and colour coded and all plugs are different sizes so cant really mess it up.

when all hooked up I get nothing apart from being able to eject cd's however if I wire up the 2 yellow and 2 red It will come on wether the key is in or not but still no sound.

Below are the harness's I purchased from crutchfileds..

CHRYSLER 2002 - 2008 CHTO -02 RETAIN AMPLIFIER
ASWC-1 STEERING CONTROL HARNESS

Any help with this would be great... as its driving me mad