Alpine Type R 6x9 fitment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C5Chad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab without the infinity system. Was looking to upgrade the sound system in my truck. I like to usually keep all speakers and subwoofers typically of same brand(ocd like that lol).
I've always been a big fan of Alpine's stuff and was wondering if any of you know if the Alpline Type-R 6x9's fit in the front doors of the quad cabs?

My original plan was to do Alpine Type R 6x9's in the front door, Alpine Type R 5 1/4's in the rear doors powered by a Pioneer GM-D8604 4-channel amp and then hopefully if they fit in my under rear seat fox box a pair of 10" Alpine Type R's powered by an Alpine mono amp.

Do you guys think I will have any fitment issues with that setup? Or should I look into going another way with it? Thanks for any help!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe the newer type r speakers use neodymium magnets which are powerful but very small. You shouldn't have fitment issues with them. If I can fit a set of infinity kappa 3 ways in there with those monster magnets they have, then the type r's should be fine. You may have to trim a little bit of metal from the opening depending on how big the basket for the speaker is.

And yes, type r subs will fit in the fox box. I have a type r 10 in mine.

OP
OP
C

C5Chad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you have a normal sized type r sub? Not the shallow mount?

I hope the type r 6x9 fits, crutchfields website said it won't. But I feel like they've been wrong on things before.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes it is the normal type r. Although it is the older type r that is 500 watts rms, where the new ones are 1000 watts rms. I'd imagine it would still fit in that box just fine.

As far as the speakers, depth wise you should be fine. The only place I can see being an issue is the actual cutout in the door. The basket for the new speakers may be bigger than the door hole. This can be taken care of with a Dremel tool. I had this issue with my infinitys but they're big speakers as far as the magnets and frame.

On another note, you shouldn't need 2 type r's back there lol. My single 10" type r in a ported fox box is loud as hell, and it's the old 500w rms one. Not only will 2 of the new ones be extremely overkill imo, but then you will need an amp that will provide 2kw rms (huge amount of power), and you will need all the wiring to support that huge amount of power. Plus a single sub is just a simpler setup. Less stuff to fail. Not trying to tell you what to do, just giving my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

C5Chad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes it is the normal type r. Although it is the older type r that is 500 watts rms, where the new ones are 1000 watts rms. I'd imagine it would still fit in that box just fine.

As far as the speakers, depth wise you should be fine. The only place I can see being an issue is the actual cutout in the door. The basket for the new speakers may be bigger than the door hole. This can be taken care of with a Dremel tool. I had this issue with my infinitys but they're big speakers as far as the magnets and frame.

On another note, you shouldn't need 2 type r's back there lol. My single 10" type r in a ported fox box is loud as hell, and it's the old 500w rms one. Not only will 2 of the new ones be extremely overkill imo, but then you will need an amp that will provide 2kw rms (huge amount of power), and you will need all the wiring to support that huge amount of power. Plus a single sub is just a simpler setup. Less stuff to fail. Not trying to tell you what to do, just giving my opinion.

Well I already have a dual 10" fox sub box for under the rear seat. Had it left over from my last Dodge when I had an older set of 10" Alpine's in it. So I'm pretty much stuck there as far as having 2 subs. Maybe go down to a not so powerful sub. I think the old ones I had like 5 years ago were Type-S Alpine subs.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I already have a dual 10" fox sub box for under the rear seat. Had it left over from my last Dodge when I had an older set of 10" Alpine's in it. So I'm pretty much stuck there as far as having 2 subs. Maybe go down to a not so powerful sub. I think the old ones I had like 5 years ago were Type-S Alpine subs.

The current alpine type s is equivalent to the older type r that I have. 500w rms. 1000w rms amps are much easier and cheaper to come by than 2000w rms amps. Like I said I'm not trying to tell you what to do. It's just that if you put two subs in there that can handle 2kw rms, you have to have an amp that powerful to run them. Under powering subs is actually the quickest way to destroy them.

Keep in mind, all the wattages I am using are rms ratings (constant), not peak ratings.

08RamMichigan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have alpine type s 6x9 in front doors and alpine type s 5 1/4 components in rear doors I did not have any figment issues if I could complain it the hole is not perfect. I sealed edges with butal worked perfect. Also amped to a kicker 300x4. Huge difference from stock. The alpines needed to be amped in order to sound better then stock. So if your putting in type s with no amp I would not expect much. But with an amp sounds crystal clear and you feel it.