alternator updgrade for system?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mopartilidie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
my uncle said something about having to upgrade to a bigger alternator if im going to put a 1000 watt amp in my truck. i wanted to a second opinion on this. im planning on putting the amp and 2 10's in there, and later on some better door speakers. any opinions?

thanks in advance

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Stock Alts are 163amp so I don't think you will need a bigger one, maybe bump ump the idle with a tuner a little bit that outta do ya. iPad sp....

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How about installing capacitor? Wouldn't that help out too?

Getting one big enough to handle that load wouldnt be worth it, and there are lost of varying opinions on if capacitors even help. I would say install a second battery instead of a capacitor if you had to.

OP
OP
mopartilidie

mopartilidie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
maybe i'll just have to do w/out the amp lol and just get subs and speakers. would that be a good idea or no? how do you think the sound would be?

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why do you need a 1000watt amp? I use a 300 watt for my one 12 and it is by far loud enough. I dont amp the door speakers either.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
maybe i'll just have to do w/out the amp lol and just get subs and speakers. would that be a good idea or no? how do you think the sound would be?

How are you going to run your subs without an amp?

OP
OP
mopartilidie

mopartilidie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ya forgot about that lol. my brother gave me the 1000 watt amp to me for my bday, i could maybe sell it and downgrade a little bit.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
what subs are you going to use, and what are the specs (RMS and peak watts, ohms), also what is the specs on the amp?

OP
OP
mopartilidie

mopartilidie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i haven't really decided on what i wanna go w/ yet. still shopping around. and i dont really know the specs for the amp b/c it wasn't packaged or anything, the only thing i really know about it is that it works lol.

glass3222

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
you said the amp is 1000 watts, do you know how many channels it has?

I really do not think you need to upgrade the alternator, and I don't think you will have any issues running that amp. Since you already have it, I would get subs that match up well with the amp.

OP
OP
mopartilidie

mopartilidie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i really couldn't tell you lol. i know my lack of knowledge towards electronics is annoying.

Mega Mike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Don't mean to butt in here. I have a 600w amp (bridged) in my truck, going to (1) 12" sub. I had the capacitor from my Durango. I put it in anyway. I was told it helps when the bass hits hard from the initial "thump". It takes that surge from the capacitor rather than the battery. Didn't need it, but wanted piece of mind.

A 1000w amp, I think, is way too much for a pickup. 300w-500w is plenty, I stuck with the 600w because I was bumping (2) 12" subs in my D-go. Didn't really have the money to lay out for smaller amp.

As is, my door speakers are powered by aftermarket stereo only. Sub-out on the stereo is going to my amp for the sub.

Upgrade the door speakers, get a smaller amp and a good sub. It will sound awesome.

Mike

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
I've got over 1200 RMS in my system. using a 2farad capacitor and stock alternator. no issues with dimming lights whatsoever.

the stock alternator is more than sufficient in these trucks. if you've got dimming lights look to a capacitor. A second battery wont help with dimming lights, it just allows the system to be played longer before the battery goes dead if the alternator isnt keeping up. A second battery and a capacitor are NOT the same thing, and in most cases, a second battery is a waste of money (sorry to the guys with a second battery)

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
your 1000 watt amp is not 1000 watts.. There are very few amps out there that say what they are. Competition amps are the true ones (Kicker, Rockford Fosgate,Alpine, etc) If it came from ebay its about half of what it says. Or sometimes it will say 800 watt amp, and it actually is about 600 watt peak at something like 2 ohms. Where you need to wire it right and get compatible subs. Or some other variable that not the average joe would know about.

You get what you pay for when it comes to amps. If there is a $300 500 watt amp and a $150 1000 watt amp, which one do you think is true to the specs?

And I am getting my Kicker door speakers and infinity reference tweeters amp'd tomorrow with a 4 Channel Alpine amp :D

Last edited:

weedahoe

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cammed and custom tuned 5.7
Stock Alts are 163amp so I don't think you will need a bigger one, maybe bump ump the idle with a tuner a little bit that outta do ya. iPad sp....

You got a type. Stock alts are 136 amp or 160 depending on your OEM package.

I have the stock 136 with a 2000 watt system, multiple TVs, a XBOX 360, 2 sets of HIDs, a power inverter and recently sold my AVIC head unit and am adding in a truck-puter.

I have no issues with my electrical system although I have done the Big 3 with 1/0 wire and have two Duralast Gold batteries rated at 1000CA and 850CCA.

If I can do all of that on the stock 136A alt then you will be fine for your needs and usage.