amp draw

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
so i noticed the other day while have my sub turned way up that the voltage was way down about 12v (below the center line on the meter) does this mean i should get a bigger alternator? i'm only running a 600W amp and a 1.5 farad cap
i do not get headlight dim

bluesmanjesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have any other high draw electrical acessories? Are you sure the cap is good? If a capacitor goes bad it is a drain on the system rather than a help/band-aid

OP
OP
Marx

Marx

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L, 345 ci MDS
All i had on was the a/c and i dont have any extra draws, i actrually have lesss than stock because i replaced almost every light with led, pretty sure the cap is good has a protecion circurt in it. Just wonder what every bodys meters are at when they are pounding :********:

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 600W alt as well and had the same problem you have now. Im assuming it only happens to you when you are stopped and idling right? Well my truck idled about 500, and at that rpm the alt doesnt charge very well. I tried cleaning my TB, changing my PCV, everything. My idle was never rough just low I thought. I called up 3-4 dealers and they all told me the same thing, it was normal. So i said **** that and bought a Diablo tuner as you can change your idle to whatever you like. I bumped it up 150rpm across the range and it has been perfect ever since.

You could get a stronger alt, but the factory 163amp is more than enough for 600W. A new 200amp or more alt is gonna run you about the same price as a diablo tuner, but with the tuner you get all the goodies.

With my bass pounding i read about 13-14V at the amp, before the idle adjustment it was 11-12ish.

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh and BTW, ditch the cap.... unless you are running competition stuff and need smoother voltage fluctuations, its an extra drain on the system when it runs out, and a 1.5 farad will dump out quickly.