Backup Camera Wiring.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I'm in the process of wiring up a backup camera and I need to know where to hookup the reverse signal to.

There's looks to be a trailer plug of some sort hanging down that is a little mangled. Do I wire to here?, and which wires would I use.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
Just looking for what two wires in the rear end I would wire the camera with to be triggered with the vehicle being in reverse.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
On the 7 pin trailer harness connector. The purple wire is your reverse + and just use and bolt on the frame for the ground.
Thanks I'll look for that,. There was a connector hanging down on the left side that 4 wires.

I'll look for the 7 pin harness, where would I find that?

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I just wired mine to the reverse light wire in my tail lights. Ground wire to the frame.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I just wired mine to the reverse light wire in my tail lights. Ground wire to the frame.
That's a good idea. Do you know which wire that is, can I easily find that one?

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That's a good idea. Do you know which wire that is, can I easily find that one?

On mine it was the white with light green stripe, should be the same as yours. You can see it lines up with the reverse light plug.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
On mine it was the white with light green stripe, should be the same as yours. You can see it lines up with the reverse light plug.
Ok thanks I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have a harbor freight near you you can get a multimeter for around 5 dollars. It's not high quality by any means but for stuff like this it will let you know for sure that you've found the right wire and not have to go by the "hook it up and see if it works" method. Even when you find the wire that you're looking for it is still good to verify what you're connecting into with a multimeter.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
If you have a harbor freight near you you can get a multimeter for around 5 dollars. It's not high quality by any means but for stuff like this it will let you know for sure that you've found the right wire and not have to go by the "hook it up and see if it works" method. Even when you find the wire that you're looking for it is still good to verify what you're connecting into with a multimeter.
I'm a HVAC mechanic, so I got all the tools. Am I looking for a wire that has normally 0v, and then has 12v when reverse is in gear?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a HVAC mechanic, so I got all the tools. Am I looking for a wire that has normally 0v, and then has 12v when reverse is in gear?

Yep that's it

dp11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am curious how you ran ur wiring to you dash. installing double din stereo and backup cam tomorrow.

OP
OP
A

AEW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 4.7L
I just ran the wire underneath the truck and came in through​ an already existing hole in the engine bay to the driver side underneath the steering wheel.