Battery Gauge Drops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMOlson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
Hey Guys,
I am having an issue with my truck that I can't seem to track down.

My wife drove my truck the other night, and had a light come on that said "Check Gages". When she got home I noticed the battery gauge was in the red. I checked the battery and it was reading 13v. I wiggled the wires a bit and they seemed fine, and the gauge didn't go back up. So I shut the truck off and turned it back on and the light was out and the gauge was at the lower end of the black lines. I shut the truck off and left it over night. Went to drive to work the next day, about 30ft down the road the light came on, the gauge dropped. The radio didn't cut out and none of the lights dimmed. The truck was running just fine with no sputter or anything (idleing at about 600rpm). After about 20 minutes on the freeway the speaker started to pop in and out, so I turned it off and back on and it worked the rest of the way to work (about another 25 minutes), I had the base/sub up and the volume up with no issues. I noticed when I got to work that the battery gauge is not dropped all the way down, like it is when you turn the truck off, it is in the actual red on the gauge L.

Anyone have any ideas on things I can check, or known issues.

Thanks for any input!