canbus mess?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

reko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Hello everybody.

Nice to meet you all - first post here.

I just got my first ram last monday. a 2007 HD cummins

There are a few things I'm confused about...

I have the 7 speaker infinity system with a RAQ head unit.
Some people mention that it's supposed to turn itself off when you open the door after engine shutdown. Mine does it right away after i kill the engine. Is it suppose to do this or is it a setting. If it is - where do I set it?

If i'd want to change the headunit but leave everything else - how should I go about doing this? Would I need a canbus decoder for the steering wheel controls?

I've installed many stereos but never in a canbus car and to be honest i'm not sure how this stuff works.

Many thanks!

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've never seen a 3rd gen with accessory memory functions. That means the power windows, and radio remain on for a short time after the key is removed, and shut off when the door is open. Chevys have it, but many people gripe that dodge didnt design 3rd gens with that system or automatic headlights.

As for the canbus decoder for the wheel controls, yes. You will need an aftermarket radio that supports the wheel control function with a controller, and the controller itself. A CAN system is just a way to simplify wiring and communication between control units, it allows multiple units to communicate with each other at the same time on the same 2 wires. The wheel controls communicate with the AV control unit through CAN, and the decoder is needed to make it jive with aftermarket goods.

OP
OP
R

reko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I see.

I just gathered from this forum that it normmally did that.

My radio has analog input for the steering controls. I would'nt mind wiring that stuff but what unit should I go for the decoding part?

Is it car specific?

Many thanks

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
SRT 10 Viper Motor and Tranny
OP
OP
R

reko

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Thanks MegaMouse,

now im really confused! =)

As for the steering wheel controls i guess im gonna have to take it all apart to see how it´s hooked up. I can always add this when the new unit is working.

As for when it cuts off. I'm not really bothered but only worried the previous owner messed something up behind the dash. Everything looks to be stock tho. Do you know if it's a software setting or how the headunit is cabled?

Thanks so far!

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Looking at this objectively have you checked all your fuses?? As far as I know there is no way to turn off when the stereo turns off. I recently installed a new Kenwood in my truck and it will not shut off until I open a door. You may be right in that the previous owned did something that you have not found just yet.

lizardking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 6.7 "The real deal"
I hate CAN bus....especially on Freightshakers

MegaMouseGW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hate CAN bus....especially on Freightshakers

Neighbor just bought a new Pete. That thing is has so much can-bus crap in it he is afraid to install his CB radio. Although the can-bus system ahs its merits it makes the life of people that want better things in their rides completely screwy.:favorites68:

Hank1946

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Aftermarket

Neighbor just bought a new Pete. That thing is has so much can-bus crap in it he is afraid to install his CB radio. Although the can-bus system ahs its merits it makes the life of people that want better things in their rides completely screwy.:favorites68:

The problem is the supposed better equipment was built so cheap that most if not all car owners now have to modify their vehicles. If the manufactures really wanted to make it right they would make it compatible with the canbus but then they would have to make several models for it to work. Then charge more and then you would complain about the cost! Personally I would never buy a used car someone else modified. I wonder how many problems have been caused by people who thought they knew better than the manufacture?
I have never had a CB but from what I know they run their own antenna and only need a power supply so if he knows for sure what he is doing it should be simple. If he is really afraid he should take it back to the dealer and have them do it right!!!:superhack: