CD reader doesn't read

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Peekaboo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
The CD reader on my '03 RAM 1500 systematically rejects any CD I insert, saying "CD ERR". Looks like a dirty cell, so I have tried to insert a cleaning CD, but with a same result.
Has anybody any idea of what I can do ?
Thanks.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Is it the factory CD Player? The one in my 04 did the same thing if so. I just replaced the CD Player

OP
OP
Peekaboo

Peekaboo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
Yes, it is the factory player, and I should have liked not to replace it !

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
You could replace it with another factory one. It's an easy unit to change

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Usually when they start doing that they're pretty much done for and it's much cheaper/easier to just replace it

CorDog009

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine got to that point. I don't even use CD's anymore, so a few weeks ago I bought a Pioneer media player (AM/FM, bluetooth, aux,) to go in my truck. It's about half as deep as the factory radio and aftermarket ones since it doesn't have a CD player in it. It takes about 4-5 seconds to sync to my phone/ipod. Plus, it was only about $80 too.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
Mine got to that point. I don't even use CD's anymore, so a few weeks ago I bought a Pioneer media player (AM/FM, bluetooth, aux,) to go in my truck. It's about half as deep as the factory radio and aftermarket ones since it doesn't have a CD player in it. It takes about 4-5 seconds to sync to my phone/ipod. Plus, it was only about $80 too.

I recently did the same thing, only I went with Kenwood. My Challenger didn't even come with a CD player so I was already set up for this. It's kinda neat to get out of my car, and into my truck, and have the same music playing. l'll never go back to lugging CD's around again