Chinese Android GPS radios??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2008 1500 with the standard REF radio. I would like to upgrade it to something that has GPS and bluetooth. I have looked at Pioneer, Alpine, Kenwood, etc. They all have very nice options, but I don't really like the fact that I would have to get a dash bezel filler kit to fill in the little circles.

Which leads me to the Chinese Android radios. There are literally hundreds of them on the internet. Radio-upgrade, Joying, Seicane as well as a bunch on ebay and aliexpress. These radios are supposed to be plug and play, look factory, and are relatively cheap (depending where you buy). The 2 models I'm looking at are the following:

Seicane S09206 2002-2007 Dodge Intrepid Magnum Neon Android 4.4.4 Touch Screen radio Mirror link DVD Player OBD2 Bluetooth GPS Navigation system DVR TV USB SD WIFI Backup camera Steering Wheel control 1080P Video

9 inch 2004 2005 2006 DODGE Avenger Caliber Challenger Dakota Durango Journey Magnum Android 6.0 Bluetooth GPS Navigation System with Quad-core CPU TV Tuner USB AUX Steering Wheel Control

The first one is supposed to be a direct replacement for the REF radio. The second one is supposed to be a direct replacement for the factory REC (Nav) radio. However, I would have to buy a Nav bezel for the second option. The Nav bezels are running 200+ on ebay, so that's going to make this option a little bit more difficult.

So, what is the general consensus on these radios? I haven't been able to find much information online. I have read several instances where the radios just up and die after a year. I mostly want one of these units for the GPS and bluetooth phone capability.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
These seem pretty sweet.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I've had a Joying HU for 1+ years. Mine is the universal double-DIN without knob, but I know Joying also offers the supposed direct-fit kits like the others.

Go to XDA Developers and research the brands first, because if you intend to do modding, it's important in that they all seem similar but have different hardware/ROM/MCU. Some are well-supported.

You'll also want to buy support as much as features. The brands are just that-HuiFei and Klyde make most of these and the re-sellers like Pumpkin, Seicane, Joying etc. basically just do firmware. None of them are particularly helpful in they seem to think their products are infallible and it must be you who doesn't understand. They will respond with sometimes repetitive and irrelevant answers in Chinglish.

That said, if you consider Joying, contact Farjad with JoyingUSA. He's a re-seller in New York and also a source for service. Big deal if you ever have a problem and are faced with possibly sending something back to China..or asking for help. Farjad is at JoyingUSA@gmail dot com

BT calls work great, but I use the built-in mic and some say they hear noise on my end. It could be electrical interference, ambient road noise or a sound quality issue that is a fairly involved fix (there's stuff about that on XDA).

I've a post about my purchase, install, problems and resolutions that you can search for. Long story short, I'm very happy with mine.

http://www.ramforum.com/f52/has_anyone_installed_one_generic_chinese_android_head_units-77201/

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Core, thanks for the honest opinion, and the link to your thread. I think your experience has convinced me not to buy one of these. I'm looking for something that is plug and play, and it seems that the androids take a little patience and work to get them fully operable.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye