Door Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I still have the original paper 6x9's in my 04 Ram standard cab. If I decide to swap them out for some aftermarket speakers, what do you all suggest replacing them with? I've never had the door panels off the truck, so I don't know what kind of space there is in there for aftermarket. Should I go with new 6x9's? Or should I switch to a component speaker setup?

What have you done? Got any pictures? If not, got any suggestions on what would work best?

Here's what I have now. Kenwood digital media player for a deck. Stock 6x9's in the doors with Lanzar 1" tweeters running off of them. In the back are the paper 6.5's (is that what came stock?). Behind them are a couple of boxes on either side of the cab with MTX 12's in them, powered by a 500 watt amp. It sounds pretty good, but I eventually want to make it sound better. I don't need it to have a ton of wattage, it's loud enough as it is

RedFalcon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I put some Polk DXI 6x9 in my old '08 with a pair of rockford power 5.25s. Had them powered by a little alpine amp and they worked nice. Had 2 Kicker CompVT 10's under the back with a 1200 watt amp. Loved the system, but a nice set of components in front would have made it better.

I want to say that you should have a decent amount of space behind the speakers. Taking off the door panels is pretty easy. The back door handles can be a pain though.
I'd go with components in front and some decent full range in the back.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I like the way you think. No worries about the back doors, standard cab. Thanks for the reply

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I guess I'm changing my door speakers. Just ordered Punch 6" and 1" tweet components. Now I know what I'll be doing on Sunday :)

Eventually I'll replace the rear speakers as well with 5.25 components

Gonna sound good when it's all done!!!

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're doing components then look into amping them. Most component sets can handle over 100watts rms and when they get around the 14watts rms a factory head unit puts out its actually not good for them.

Oh and don't waste your money on components in the back. A nice set of 2 or 3 ways will be plenty.

OP
OP
Kapt

Kapt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3L
I have an amp sitting on my workbench waiting for this weekend ;) For now it will just be the doors and the 12's behind the seat. Should sound really good by Sunday evening

BgHrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you swap out the factory speakers, why do you find the electrical adapter plug for the aftermarket speakers? So you can make it a plug n play from the factory speakers to aftermarket?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye