Electrical Gremlins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crzylee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Hey y'all I'm Lee from Mississippi. I have a 2003 Ram 2500 Diesel that just developed some electrical gremlins. I got it out of the shop to get the power steering pump and gear box replaced and drove it for a few days then I noticed my cruise control buttons on the steering wheel nor the horn works, and also when I turn off the truck the brake lights stay illuminated for a couple of minutes before automatically turning themselves off. Almost like a timer like the head lights but longer.

Any ideas on where to start to track these down?

Thanks for any input.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Not a diesel guy, but the horn and cruise sounds like a faulty clock spring. Did the shop take the steering wheel off?

OP
OP
C

crzylee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Not to my knowledge they did not. Rock auto has a clocking spring for about $75, is this something i can tackle on my own?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Not to my knowledge they did not. Rock auto has a clocking spring for about $75, is this something i can tackle on my own?

I messed with mine a couple of times and didn't find it difficult. I'd check connectors and wires before buying a new one.

OP
OP
C

crzylee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9l Cummins
Will do, thanks for the input.