Electrical repairs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Teligence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2003 Ram 1500 Laramie Quad-Cab 4x4 earlier this year and have only the following items left to repair:

1. The passenger seat electrical control switches don't work. If I "hotwire" to the appropriate contacts all the motors work fine each way (forward/back, up/down, tilt forward/back, and lumbar in/out). I suspect the switch mounted on the side of the seat but I'm having trouble finding a replacement - Dodge seems to have abandoned support. Recycle yards don't seem to have availability for this "rare" switch that included lumbar control...

2. The Cruise Control is completely dead. I've checked all fuses - all good.

Any recommendations?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Any abs trouble? That will mess with the cruise control

OP
OP
T

Teligence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
no abs issues. CC lights are completely dead - on the instrument panel and on the CC controls on the handle itself. It's like the connector for the wires going up the steering column to the handle are disconnected...

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
If the cruise control lights up when you switch it on, but the actual cruise doesn't work at all, the problem might be the brake switch. If that switch is stuck on the cruise control thinks the brakes are always on and will never turn on. Mine went intermittent last year, the cruise would work for a while and then just shut down, I could get it to come back once in a while and then it would shut off again. Got a new brake switch - problem solved. No CEL and no codes.

Mike

OP
OP
T

Teligence

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope - completely dark.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is it all the controls on the steering wheel that are dark or just the cruise buttons. If there is no power there I would assume a clock spring issue. Pull the controls off the steering wheel and test for continuity and resistance. Something is not right and if that is the part thats dark it makes me think clockspring or that control panel.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If the cruise control lights up when you switch it on, but the actual cruise doesn't work at all, the problem might be the brake switch. If that switch is stuck on the cruise control thinks the brakes are always on and will never turn on. Mine went intermittent last year, the cruise would work for a while and then just shut down, I could get it to come back once in a while and then it would shut off again. Got a new brake switch - problem solved. No CEL and no codes.

Mike

How and where do you replace this? I have the same symptoms

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
How and where do you replace this? I have the same symptoms

I had a shop do mine. On my 06 the switch is down near the firewall by the brake peddle shift. The Mopar unit is a one time unit once a safety sleeve is removed the switch can't be messed with. The guys at the shop (former Mopar dealer mechs) have all the gear needed to do the job. Hooked a computer to the truck to confirm the switch was bad then replaced it with a new one. Got the receipt, so it's P/N 5083344AA ($33.94), labor was $37.08. Didn't take very long, but to me kind of a finicky job with one shot to get it right??? The work was done on 4/25/16 - so I guess it's fixed.

Mike