Factory Remote Starter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, seens how I'm leaving for my deployment next month, I decided to get Christmas shopping done early. My wife and I decided we were gonna get each other car starters this year. I wanted the factory ones since they should be "plug and play". Anyone have any experience installing these things? Is there anything I have to do with the key? I don't have the Grey key that is coded, I have the key with the integrated buttons for door locks.

Oh, and wifes vehicle is a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

OP
OP
Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Well, got my remote starter in the mail yesterday. I'm at work tonight so I decided to install it. Honestly, it was about 100X easier than I thought it was gonna be. Most of it was plug-and-play. Only had to solder 4 connections. I think it took twice as long to program the damn thing than it did to install it. I'll be honest, the SENTRY/SKREEM system was a PITA! All is working well now though. I took a bunch of pictures planning on doing a DIY but as I was trying to upload them to photobucket I somehow erased most of them. :sorrysign: Anyway, here's what I got left:

DSCN1366.jpg

DSCN1368.jpg

DSCN1369.jpg

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice! I want to add the factory remote start also. Where did you get yours?

OP
OP
Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
eBay, there's a Dodge dealer in Maine that went out of business and is selling off their stock pretty cheap. Luckily they had mine in stock.
West Minster Motors

If you do decide to get one, don't order the start module kit, pt#82208859AB. I ordered 2 and don't need the second one. I'll sell it to someone cheaper than they'll find it anywhere else. It's brand new, ordered it planning on putting a starter in my wifes Jeep, then couldn't find the install kit for a price I liked so I ordered her one from an aftermarket dealer.

Last edited:

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
eBay, there's a Dodge dealer in Maine that went out of business and is selling off their stock pretty cheap. Luckily they had mine in stock.
West Minster Motors

If you do decide to get one, don't order the start module kit, pt#82208859AB. I ordered 2 and don't need the second one. I'll sell it to someone cheaper than they'll find it anywhere else. It's brand new, ordered it planning on putting a starter in my wifes Jeep, then couldn't find the install kit for a price I liked so I ordered her one from an aftermarket dealer.

How much you want for it? Mines an 05 but I think it still should work?

OP
OP
Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It works on almost all years, you'll still need the install kit to go with it. I'll sell it for $50 shipped. They list for $70. Also, if you have the SENTRY key, you may need the by-pass module. You'll have to check with the dealer.

Double check but I think the Install kit you need is: 82208863AB.

Last edited:

98sporttj

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 QCSB 4X4
Engine
4.7L
Does this kit retain the factory style key or does it have the little add on remote... was looking at buying one

KSMegaOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 MegaCab 3500
Engine
Cummins
Hey Guys,

I have an 2006 3500 Megacab with the Cummins. I bought all the parts of the remote start system and my dealer is trying to get this thing installed and for some reason is having a hell of a time. I ordered these parts:

82209832AE
82208859AB

For some reason the truck isn't wanting to get the remote programmed into the computer. It will start and run for a few seconds and then shut off. Any suggestions. All of the research I have done says these parts are the right ones for my truck.

Last edited:

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Rick , welcome , and I would recommend taking it to a audio shop that installs them dealers dont no jack when it comes to this stuff they dont do them all the time like a audio place would

KSMegaOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 MegaCab 3500
Engine
Cummins
i just may have to do that. I'm not sure if an audio place would know how to install the factory remote start or not.

I know that one of the shops I talked to, said they don't install factory one, only aftermarket.

OP
OP
Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey Guys,

I have an 2006 3500 Megacab with the Cummins. I bought all the parts of the remote start system and my dealer is trying to get this thing installed and for some reason is having a hell of a time. I ordered these parts:

82209832AE
82208859AB

For some reason the truck isn't wanting to get the remote programmed into the computer. It will start and run for a few seconds and then shut off. Any suggestions. All of the research I have done says these parts are the right ones for my truck.

I remember having the same problem with mine when I first installed it. The programming manual for the SKREEM system tells you in step E that approximately 10 seconds after inserting the second key and turning the ignition on, the anti theft light should flash and you will hear a chime. That is when you are supposed to remove the key (at least 2feet away) and start the vehicle with the remote. My truck would never give a chime or light no matter how long I waited. Every time I would just wait a little while, turn the key off, start the truck with the remote and it would die a few seconds later. After about 3 times I finally decided not to watch for a light and just counted to 10. Removed the key and it started right up. Haven't had any problems since. My wife uses it to start my truck about once every other week while I'm gone. Have your dealer give that a try and let us know if it works. I have a copy of the instillation manual in PDF form if you need it. Your module should have came with one though. Good luck.

OP
OP
Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Does this kit retain the factory style key or does it have the little add on remote... was looking at buying one

Mine has the add on remote. It really doesn't bother me because I don't carry it in my pocket anyway. One hangs in the kitchen in my house and the other I keep in my back pack I carry to and from work. I always have one when I need it but I don't have to carry it all the time. I've heard you can program the key with the start button to the truck but I don't have the need to spend that kind of money on a key, and I'm not 100% sure it will work, only hear-say so far. Haven't actually seen it work yet.

KSMegaOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 MegaCab 3500
Engine
Cummins
I remember having the same problem with mine when I first installed it. The programming manual for the SKREEM system tells you in step E that approximately 10 seconds after inserting the second key and turning the ignition on, the anti theft light should flash and you will hear a chime. That is when you are supposed to remove the key (at least 2feet away) and start the vehicle with the remote. My truck would never give a chime or light no matter how long I waited. Every time I would just wait a little while, turn the key off, start the truck with the remote and it would die a few seconds later. After about 3 times I finally decided not to watch for a light and just counted to 10. Removed the key and it started right up. Haven't had any problems since. My wife uses it to start my truck about once every other week while I'm gone. Have your dealer give that a try and let us know if it works. I have a copy of the instillation manual in PDF form if you need it. Your module should have came with one though. Good luck.

That is exactly how my truck is acting. It won't show the security light or sound the chime. I will call them today and have them try counting to ten. I had the same problem when I tried to program a new sentry key that came with the remote start with the start button on the key itself. It took me 7 times to get it programmed. On one other forum, they said that the 06's wouldn't show the security light, but the check engine would flash. Not sure about that one either.

KSMegaOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 MegaCab 3500
Engine
Cummins
Mine has the add on remote. It really doesn't bother me because I don't carry it in my pocket anyway. One hangs in the kitchen in my house and the other I keep in my back pack I carry to and from work. I always have one when I need it but I don't have to carry it all the time. I've heard you can program the key with the start button to the truck but I don't have the need to spend that kind of money on a key, and I'm not 100% sure it will work, only hear-say so far. Haven't actually seen it work yet.

My kit came with 2 key fobs that are really small and a replacement Sentry key with the remote start button in it also.

OP
OP
Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Mine came with the remotes but no key. I've thought about buying a blank and trying to program it to the truck but haven't convinced myself to spend the cash just yet.

KSMegaOwner

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 MegaCab 3500
Engine
Cummins
Hey Mega Hemi,

Well, my dealer has had this truck in the shop 5 times and still can't get this remote start to work. Can you pm me your number so we can talk on the phone about how to get this working? I would appreciate it. They just left everything installed and refunded all my money I paid for the installation. So, if I can get it working with your help I will be way ahead.

TonkaTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well i picked up the factory remote starter with install kit for 06' 1500. It's coming from a dealer here in NC so hopefully I'll see it later this week. I have two sentry keys right now so i'm hoping i have what i need. I've seen around on some other sites that they are saying you need the dealer to use the scan tool to enable this feature...but it sounds like the OP was able to get this to work without doing this can you verify this?? I plan on eventually picking up the sentry key with the start button on it, but the cheapest i found it was $110 for the blank and the dealer here charges $50 to cut a key so that can wait for a while.

OP
OP
Mega-Hemi

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I did not need anything done at the dealer to get my remote start to work. You shouldn't either but I cannot guarantee that. There's a guy on here that's been having some issues installing his in a CTD. The dealer couldn't figure it out and gave up on him.

TonkaTruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
well figured i would give an update after installing my factory remote start. I opened the boxes and started reading away in the white booklet "install instructions" on Friday. I pulled apart the dash pluged in the two harnesses made the splices and hooked the battery back up. Like many have said when i went to program the skreem my truck didnt not do anything with that ani-theft blinking at 10 seconds, but i did get the one audible chime. Hit the remote start button twice and all i got was a couple of honks...damn it...called the tech line at 1:30 Saturday before they closed at 2 and was told did you get a pink sheet with a third harness....yes ...plug that in and turn the hood sensor the other way. Well by the time i got it in it was after 2 and the damn thing was still just giving me a couple of honks. I messed with it on Sunday for a couple of hours trying to change some of the options such as key polarity with no such luck. This morning i called the tech line again and this time i was told sound like a skim issue and i needed to cut the orange and purple wires going to the skreem module leaving the pink and white connected. So i pull out the gerber and snip those ....hit the remote start same damn chirps and no start. Called back to tech line this time with the volt meter in hand verified the 3rd harness for the hood sensor had 12volts coming from the power wire...he says ok were going to try something i think its the hood switch. He has me unplug the 3rd harness, turn the key to on and put it into program mode, and then option bank 2. This is where it got weird he had me hit the brake 3 seperate times and then asked if the led was on...i said yes...he tells me hit the remote start button it will turn off (if you look in the install book a 3rd option in bank 2 doesn't exist, so i don't know what the hell he had me do)..now turn the key off. He had me take the #12 wire from the 24 pin and ground it to the truck....he said now hit the remote start button twice and HOUSTON WE HAVE LIFT OFF!!! the damn thing started. He said i had a faulty hood switch from the dealer. It works perfect now and i must say it has some good distance as i was able to get it to start from the other side of our warehouse. If i get it in and hit the brake it dies, but if turn the key to on and hit the brake it verifies the key and continues to run.I'm not sure what cutting the purple and orange wire did, but it seems to function perfectly fine. I do have to say both of the gentlemen i spoke with on the tech line really seemed to know their stuff.

Last edited: