Got some free speakers...quick question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I got some 6.5" Alpine Type G speakers. They aren't the greatest but they are better than stock. I know they are too deep to mount without an "adapter" (read a cut piece of plywood/mdf). I know some folks have used Type Rs in the doors. How thick a piece of plywood/mdf do I need to make me an adapter?

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I know I'm a 2nd gen but when I pit my 6x9's in my door they were a 1/2 inch too deep. I just went to the hardware store and got some nuts a 1/2 inch thick and some longer screws with similar threads and Mine fit great. Less cutting and what not. Just a thought.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
i used 3/4 that i had lying around. i bought some for my 05 that were about 1/4" thick. there is plenty of room i plan on bringing mine out more to be closer to the grill

DSC_0177.jpg

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
you can move about 3/4" out toward to the door. You can also mount a 2.5" deep speaker without needing an adapter. I didnt use an adapter with my Alpine Type X and they fit fine.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
if they are not 6x9 he will need the adapter up front. i wanna bring mine out like another 1.5"

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
I bought some 1/4" figuring if I needed more I could double up on it. 1/4" was enough to make sure I miss the window and all. Now I have a new problem....

These are two way speakers where as the old 6x9's weren't. They sound great...but I have no low end now. I guess I'm gonna have to splurge on an amp and sub(s) soon. Darn. :roflsquared:

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
6x9 put out more bass by nature. i have my type-r's hooked up to a pdx-4.100 and pushing a lot of power. the bass isnt extraordinary. these are more for mids and highs. get a 8" or 10" sub with a couple hundred watt to fill in it will sound right

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
no no more low bass. my components are tops but produce no low end. i also have my hpf set to 80. they are so damn loud and clean. i have no distortion with my volume maxed

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
yeah we've got the same components. alpine type-x. i hate them. not near enough midbass for me. the tweeters are the best i've heard, but i've got 3.5's in the dash to take care of the high stuff, so im gonna find some better components with more midbass

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
my mids are great and will rattle the mirrors if i want them to. but i try not to push them. i really just need to drop some coin on the subs and amp. im trying to find some interior gray from mopar to paint all my cream interior dark slate gray. then im going to relocate the tweeters in the rear to the pillars in between the doors. i think it will fit up above the seat belt adjuster. ill find out soon enough..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
Just for the record, mine are Type G and they aren't components. Once I save up some and buy me an amp and subs I plan on buying some components for the fronts and move these speakers to the rear doors. I've had a hard time convincing myself to buy new speakers because these "work". And I'm just naturally cheap.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
onlinecarstereo.com or ebay

type-r's for around 140 shipped. not bad

rocket

Licensed Dynacologist
Reaction score
Ram Year
was 2006
Engine
was a HEMI 5.7
At the risk of being laughed at, Wally world or pep boys out of the question for the speakers that I need? There is an excellant audio chain up here as well, I was thinking of hitting them up. With the correct size speakers, only gonna try and keep the wattage /ohms the same as stock. But also try the two ways in the front/rear sides. No need for an adaptor. okla, thats a great pic btw. I always liked the good two way speakers out there. This may get pushed to the spring, I really think the cold winters take a toll on speakers anyways.

OP
OP
Deviate

Deviate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 4x2
Engine
The wal-marts around here only seem to carry sony xplode and audiovox (or something similar) speakers. Honestly, I think you can get a good quality set of speakers from onlinecarstereo.com for what you would spend at wal-mart. With the 2 way 6.5" I reaplaced the stock 6x9s with, they sound better overall. But definitely lost some of the lows. I expected that to happen though.

Eventually, maybe for Christmas, I want to put some components up front and move the 6.5" I got to the rear doors. Then put a 10" sub under the back seat. I think just 1 ten will do me since I don't listen to much base and just want to round out the sound.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Modded 4.7l
i got a mdf prefab box id sell you but your a few hours away....its for 2 10's though....

AWE Daniel

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i got a mdf prefab box id sell you but your a few hours away....its for 2 10's though....

How cheap? Im in tampa a lot. If its the right price Id take it off your hands, I would have to buy new 10s for it.