HID Light Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi everyone
So I ordered a couple of HID kits from eBay for my 08. My buddy put a set in his 03 and they seemed decent so I thought Id try them outt. When I got them I put them in and I remember the flicker issue. So I add two relays to each side to prevent the flicker, one for high one for low. I get everything wired up and working and then I put it all back together. I got out in my truck for five minutes and see that the passenger side light is out. High and low are connected the same and high still works but low doesn't. So I went through it all I have power everywhere but the ballast isn't working. So I swapped the ballast with one from the kit I ordered for my fog lights and it works. Put it all back together again and go out in my truck and it's out again. I know it's not a power issue or ground because high still works. The ballast just seems to burn out. What are the chances that I received two bad balasts? Any other suggestions one what my issue could be? Thanks

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did you put in resistors (to fool the computer into thinking the bulbs aren't out)?

I have a retrofitted kit from the resident lighting guru on this forum. I forgot his username, but his kit with resisters and a capacitor has worked flawlessly since day one (I did have to flip the wiring harness plug wires on one side to it would be low on low, and high on high).

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah you need the chrysler harness for them. You can't just put hids in an 06-up ram even with a relay harness. You have to get the chrysler specific one or they'll never work right.

Don't just hack some random resistors into the harness either. Contact the guys at The Retro Shop and get the right stuff

Last edited:

Navarabr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I found out that the brand "canubus" works the best for our trucks, I have an 05 ram and thats what I run on mine with no problem, I think thats how you spell the brand

OP
OP
JamesRam

JamesRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry guys for the late reply. I posted this thread and forgot all about it. I am still having the same issue. The thing is everything seems to work fine except for the one low beam on the passenger side. All four bulbs abd ballasts are connected the same. Is It possible for a bad bulb to cause a ballast to fail? I have tried three different ballasts on this same light. The first two stopped working in 10 minutes. The third one lasted a week and then stopped working also.

Lil_Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Power tech 3.7L
I actually had the same problem with mine this weekend and it was actually my resistor was causing my issues pulled out the resistor and works like a champ now flicker nothing wrong but I'm not run in high just lows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk