how to ground?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
testing subs

Want to sell a couple sets of subs that I have, but don't A have room in the truck for the boxes B don't want to wire it in the truck at all. I have an extra HU and battery so I could hook it all up to that. Plan is o make a vid so people can see that the subs work. Question is, how do I ground the battery? Got to that point in my head and went....****, how do I do ground it

Last edited:

Shiloh 24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L gas
Want to sell a couple sets of subs that I have, but don't A have room in the truck for the boxes B don't want to wire it in the truck at all. I have an extra HU and battery so I could hook it all up to that. Plan is o make a vid so people can see that the subs work. Question is, how do I ground the battery? Got to that point in my head and went....****, how do I do ground it

You should be able to just run the grounds to the battery directly, I may be thinking of this the wrong way but they basically go there anyway when it's all setup in the vehicle it just would have less resistance because of it not traveling through the body of the vehicle. Just make sure you keep all of your inline fuses connected just in case that way nothing gets cooked.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
Yep, when in doubt, take it back to the battery..

archeryguy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No sir, the battery itself is the ground. You have Positive(Hot) and Negative(Ground). That completes the circuit. Anyone else please correct me if I'm wrong. Although... I think I'm right....LOL

RubberFrog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are 100% correct. The juice flows the pos post to the neg post.

On the vehicle we use ground points because it would be crazy if every wire had to run all the way back to the battery!

AF_Hemi

Reaction score
Central Jersey in person, the burgh at heart
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500 CC 4x4 Sport
Engine
yep. the ground post is connected to the frame of the truck, grounding the entire frame, which allows anything you connect to the frame to be grounded as well. the ground post is the source of all grounds though

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Aaahhh ok gotcha. Was thinkin about that too last night when this was running through my head. How the truck was grounded.

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed the name for those that posted before. Got it all hooked up and the HU wont come on. Might be stupid but I used my jumper cables to hook to truck batter to see if that would work. Still nothin. Its old and hasn't been used in 5 or 6 years so it might just be bad. Just looking for somebody to make me feel better lol. I checked the fuse in the HU and its good

OP
OP
bigtigga84

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2011-03-29_23-27-10_603.jpg

The monsters im tryin to wake up. These things were loud as **** in my old exploder

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I always thought you wanted to keep your ground wire as short as possible which is why people ground to the frame of the truck. Is there any disadvantage to bring the ground wire back to the battery knowing that the cable will be a little bit longer? I'm asking this because I'm installing my amp under the drivers seat and it wouldn't be too difficult to bring the ground wire back to the battery unless there is an easier place that will not introduce ground noise.

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
My amp under the drivers seat is grounded into the cab right next to the amp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you say into the cab, do you mean to one of the seat bolts or where exactly?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
Under my drivers seat, the wire comes out of the amp, and has a small ring in the end. On the floor of the cab, the paint was scraped off, and then a screw was drilled into the floor to hold the wire against the floor.

TampaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, did you then take the under side of that bolt and wire to the frame of the truck or just bolt to the cab floor? Do you get anytype of alternator wine or engine noise?

BlackedOutHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2012
Engine
5.7L HEMI & 6.7L Cummins
It's just bolted to the floor of the cab.

And I do not believe so. Nothing from what I can hear. But between my exhaust cutout and intake I honestly couldn't tell you. How prominent would that noise be?