How to wire LEDs to a Switch or Dimmer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am trying to figure out how to power some LEDs to come on with EITHER a switch or when the door opens. So with the doors closed I would like the LEDs to be off, but if I flip a switch or open the door I want them to come on. I am racking my brain to figure out how to make it work, with the little working knowledge of relays that I have, but cannot figure it out.

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So basically what you want to do is leave the positive and negative wires to the interior light/lights intact. Then you'll want to splice in a toggle switch between the door switch and the lights. Does that make sense?

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I am starting to understand it. could you draw it up? I having a hard time seeing how this would allow the switch to work, if it is dependent on the trigger from the interior light dimmer switch

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you're going to tap into the hot wire coming from the switch to the interior lights. Because remember, you want to control that wire with your toggle switch. So when you flip the toggle switch voltage gets to the interior lights. By tap I mean you'll leave that hot wire intact, you'll just strip the insulation.That will go to one terminal on the toggle switch. A hot wire from the other side of the switch to a voltage source. And the last wire is your ground.
I don't have Microsoft paint on my computer or I would draw something. It's not as hard as it sounds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That makes it much simpler. Could I also use a tapped wire from the dimmer trigger AND the signal from a switch pigtailed into one wire to activate a relay?

05daytona

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe that will work but I don't think it's necessary. It just makes things more complicated.
I apologize for the confusion, it's easier to show you than to explain.

OP
OP
D
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's ok, I know it doesn't help that I do not know much about this stuff.
So one last request, what do the wires connect to?

Hot wire from battery to a switch.
Ground to the switch
Wire from switch to the lights with a pigtailed wire jumping from the dimmer switch onto the output wire to the lights?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You don't have to do anything with the ground. Just run a 12v line from your battery to a switch, another line from the other terminal of the switch tapping into the 12v line that powers your lights. This will give the lights power when you flip the switch on, but they'll still function as normal even with the switch you added turned off.