inaccurate fuel level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wizcar28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
My gas guage read 1/4 and console display stated 106 DTE. Truck died. Put 2 gal gas in tank & it started right up. Guage still reads 1/4 & DTE is 111. Bad guage, bad sending unit, stuck float or something else. First time user, basic knowledge. Have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If the fuel pump assy is in it's original orientation then the fuel gauge board may have some corrosion and misreading. The fuel level sensor is a float on a arm (stiff wire) that swings a set of contacts in a arch across a contact (gauge) board. If the fuel pump assy is not in it's original orientation then the float and arm may have been jammed into the tank's side. I had a fuel gage go out from the vehicle setting for about four months with a partially filled tank. This caused corrosion on the gauge board. In your case I would try filling the tank and see if the gage tracked the new level.

OP
OP
W

wizcar28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi5.7
Thanks, I was going to try that but wanted opinion of othrts who know more than I do.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
I haven't found the gage board sold individually. If it is bad I believe you have to buy the whole pump assembly. I did.... :(