Infinity issues when just adding an amp/sub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So I'm in the process of adding a sub to my brother's '05 Laramie with the Infinity system. We're keeping the factory headunit and speakers and just adding in the JL 13w3 Stealthbox from my last truck with a JBL MS-5001 amp. Should be a very straightforward install but I tapped off the driverside rear speaker right at the B-pillar and the amp isn't getting enough signal for it to auto sense the signal and turn on or to even get enough gain for it to complete that amp's calibration.

The second issue I have is when I plug the wires from the tapped rear speaker into the JBL amp the speaker cuts out, unplug it and all's fine. It's making me wonder if the amp is cutting power to the speaker when it recognizes the change in voltage when the input signal is connected to the JBL amp.

The JBL MS5001 amp is supposed to be capable of accepting speaker level inputs, but is taking the signal after the amp the issue? Will I need to pull the signal from between the headunit and the stock amp with a LOC?

justin13703

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes tapping into the signal after the factory amp will cause all kinds of issues. Since its an 05 you should be able to grab the speaker wires before the amp with a LOC and be ok. As long as it puts out the right kind of signal. Some factory amped systems before the amp have a very low voltage because the amp actually gives it the power.

Oh and don't waste your time with the signal sense for turning the amp on. Just run a remote line to it from the accessory line to the radio, since youre going to be back there for the LOC anyway.

OP
OP
charonblk07

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
After I had issues I just ran the RCA and remote wires to the front of the truck before putting all the panels back into place so I can just pull the glove box and hook it all up when I get the LOC and I'm home for my next days off. The remote sense sounds great in theory but it just didn't work so I've got it all setup for a traditional remote turn on.

Thanks for the clarification, I just didn't want to start puling more stuff apart on his truck, he's a lot less comfortable with this kind of stuff than I am, having something not work for 2 months while waiting on parts or other projects just isn't acceptable to him, lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963