Isolated Second Battery Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mmetz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello fellow Ram owners! Im new to the forum and I am looking for some help on a topic. I apologize if this has been addressed before or Im in the wrong spot.

So I recently added a second battery which is isolated with a 150amp Wirthco Battery Doctor Isolator. My truck runs an alternator that produces 136 amps. So my question is...is that stock alternator sufficient to handle my setup?

My starter battery is running the trucks electrical system and my subwoofer.
As of now my aux battery is only running my highs & mid amp. The only thing I may add to my aux battery is another highs amp and maybe a led fog light bar.

Any input would be appreciated thanks!!

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
How much total amp power?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
Your alternator will charge both batteries just fine. Since your starting battery is the primary it will continuously receive the charge then your secondary batter will get charged once the primary is at a set level. It's good that your sub is on the primary battery so even on the big bass hits you shouldn't have any issues. Now, if you're competing you may run into issues with the second battery draining down if the sub is running heavy but for daily driving then you should be just fine.

OP
OP
M

mmetz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How much total amp power?

My subwoofer amp is a Fosgate prime 750-1 its wired at 1 ohm and is rated at continous power of 750wx1ohm and dynamic power of 966wx1ohm.

my high amp is a Fosgate Prime R150x2 each channel wired @2 ohm rated continous power of 75w@2ohm/channel and dynamic power of 94w@2ohm/channel

The main reason for my second battery was the fact that when i turned my music up my highs would cut out with big bass. My thought was the sub amp was robbing the voltage from my highs amp and causing it to cutout. The audio shop near me stated "sounds like a bad amp". well since i added the battery my highs no longer cut out! My dash lights still dim though with big bass...not sure how to stop that.