Looking for a Remote start kit for the ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok it seems like its getting colder and colder every morning. So i've decided to break down and buy a remote start kit. I've looked on ebay and there wasnt any mopar kits but did find this kit. 02 03 04 05 06 067 08 09 DODGE RAM ADD-ON Remote Start - eBay (item 400186541125 end time Jan-15-11 01:44:04 PST) It has some nice features and it uses the factory transponder key but I'm guessing its going to be a pita to hook up but it was all i could find. Do you guys think it would be a good one? Or maybe someone can point me into a better direction.

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great find. Thats a lot cheaper than the mopar remote start.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah i thought so too. So do you think i'm good to go? I'll have to spend 50 more on a transponder bypass but its still cheaper.

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It doesnt specifically say it just says some late models may need it. But this is what auction said: "Some late model vehicles may need a transponder bypass to use a remote start. If you have a transponder key please search my store for the transponder bypass for your car. If your vehicle is equipped with a transponder key we have special transponder bypasses available."

I wonder if i will even need it. I will ask the seller and see if that gets me anywhere.

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think I may just get it and see if it works cause I really miss the remote start in my old truck.

adamwilkes14

Reaction score
It doesnt specifically say it just says some late models may need it. But this is what auction said: "Some late model vehicles may need a transponder bypass to use a remote start. If you have a transponder key please search my store for the transponder bypass for your car. If your vehicle is equipped with a transponder key we have special transponder bypasses available."

I wonder if i will even need it. I will ask the seller and see if that gets me anywhere.

You can prob find out my taking your key to Home Depot...they have a machine that will test your key for a transponder....

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok the seller got back with me and he said a vehicle that has transponder keys will only run with keys that are programmed. So if i were to cut a regular dodge key to replicate my current key. which is the one with the unlock/lock and alarm buttons made onto the key. and if i started the truck and it ran, then it doesnt have transponder keys so i wouldnt need the transponder bypass.

I am needing a extra key anyway to stick in my wallet so i am going to try it.

shadow11

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2005, 2009
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I ordered the remote start Sunday night so ill see if it works on mine without the bypass.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
i was told i needed the bypass on my 04

OP
OP
badblackram06

badblackram06

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah i just got off the phone with the dealership and they ran my vin to cut my key and said i would need the transponder bypass if i was installing remote start.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
i founde someone on amazon selling the same bypass as bestbuy for a lot cheaper. the whole alarm kit was less. so i figured you could get the top end viper, python, clifford, whatever they are all the same and take it to get installed for the same price of a lower end unit at the store price