more audio trouble !!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluesmanjesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RH it's very simple just look at this Ohm's law wheel...LOL....

Ohmslaw.jpg

A good way to look at it is like this... if you put 100% into an electrical circuit all the load has to equal up to 100% so if you put 400watts into the 2 ohm load(2-4ohm subs in parallel) the 400watts has to get divided over the circuit,electricity seeks the path of least resistance so sense both subs are of equal resistance the current will split evenly between the 2 giving you 200watts per sub and making best use of the power potential of your amp.

bluesmanjesse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a 200rms amp with a 250 rms sub is a bad combination. you always want your amp more capable than the sub. A 400rms amp will have to work wayyyy less hard to power a 250rms sub than the 200 rms amp. Think of it in terms of potential energy. A 200rms amp will be giving 100% all the time, which creates a lot of heat and its really hard on the amp. A 400rms amp will only work about 60%, producing much less heat and overall better sound quality

Good advice, My buddy who was a pro audio installer for years usually used the rule of thumb to size an amp 2-3 times as big as the rms rating on the subs,the bigger the amp the better!

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Good advice, My buddy who was a pro audio installer for years usually used the rule of thumb to size an amp 2-3 times as big as the rms rating on the subs,the bigger the amp the better!

I completely agree and have alway said better to have too much power and turn the gain down than not have enough and have the gain all the way up, but in a lot of cases people are on a budget or they are just not into bass like some of us so they can get away with a smaller amp and still be very happy.

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Well the amp has a certificate that says it was tested at 487 watts

so the alpines are 250 rms each . So with that i will have 240 ish watts rms per sub .... That is good for me . Under powered by 10 watts is no big deal

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Oh definitely, for what you want you will be good

OP
OP
ramhunter9

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
Ya i dont want to rattle the windows just some bass to got with the other **** .

I out grew the big boom thing , guess im getting old